Wallace Lake

mako1

Decided to try something different so yesterday I packed up the kayak and headed west to try and catch my first trout. I was planning to hit Lake Lyell but I thought it would have been too busy due to the long weekend so I ended up going to Wallace Lake.

I arrived at about 6:30am and I was greeted with cool and calm conditions.

The lake looked beautiful with the mist slowly rising off the water.

post-2229-127033586605_thumb.jpg

As I put the kayak in the water I could see good sized trout feeding on the surface. I tried to chase them with lures but they wouldn’t bite on any of the lures I had. I probably could have picked some up if I had a fly outfit as the lures probably scared the fish when they hit the water.

I started trolling around the lake trying different lures and familiarizing myself with the structures in the lake.

There was quite a bit of weed on the surface which made trolling difficult but I persisted.

I came across a patch of baitfish on the surface near a weedbed and as soon as the lures passed under the school I got my first hit. It took off towards the centre of the lake and it was holding deeper. After another two short runs I got a glimpse of the fish and it was a nice rainbow trout and I soon had my first trout in the net

post-2229-127033587462_thumb.jpg

I put the fish in the livewell and set the lures again. I kept working the area and on the second pass I had another hit and this was a much better fish. It screamed off on its first run and then started jumping. After three jumps it took off again on another run. I couldn’t believe how hard these trout fight. I chased the fish down and it fought deep for a bit before I was able to work it up and into the net. It was a top rainbow trout just over 50cm.

post-2229-127033588736_thumb.jpg

I kept working the area and just as I passed close to the weedbed the lure screamed off. After some another run and some jumps I had the trout in the net. This one was slightly different as it was shorter than the others but still very fat.

post-2229-127033589787_thumb.jpg

The baitfish school moved off and the area had gone quite so I moved on. The sun was quite strong so I went and fished the deeper water near the dam wall. I tried blades, Tassie devils and plastics but I didn’t get a hit so I went back to some deep holes near some weedbeds. I trolled a celta and plastic down deep. On the third pass the celta gets hit by another good trout. It fought really well both on the surface and down deep but I soon wore it out. It was another nice rainbow trout just over 50cm.

post-2229-127033590677_thumb.jpg

I then worked the area with plastics down deep. I hooked two more fish but the hooks pulled when they jumped.

The wind had picked up so I decided to head back to the car.

I headed home and prepared the fish for the smoker.

It was a great day on the lake and I’m so happy that I was able to catch some trout.

post-2229-12703359172_thumb.jpg

well done Mako, i love wallace lake, good to see you got your first trout and some nice ones too, il be hitting lithgow in the next couple of months myself (for the first time in a boat) cant wait. so when are you going back? haha. ps anyone ever seen a brown trout from lake wallace? ive only ever managed rainbows.

Well done on your 1st trout Andrew! :thumbup:

Or I should say 1st 4!! :1prop:

Those fish look in top condition as well. Good move staying away from Lyell I reckon.

To do it all from a yak is even better.

I bet they smoked up a treat.

Great stuff mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

you make the trouting look fun mate. im in two minds to either get a tinnie or a canoe

either way im going to set them up with sounders and everything else.

mate got to ask hows the difference between the sea water then the fresh water, do you find that you have now

gathered some good knowlidge that may help with salt water fishing.

Well done for your first trout Mako :biggrin2: - you certainly have shown some skill in both the salt and fresh water :fisher: Nothing better than great scenery and the taste of success. I must try for some trout this year as I am yet to catch one.

Thanks for the kind replies.

well done Mako, i love wallace lake, good to see you got your first trout and some nice ones too, il be hitting lithgow in the next couple of months myself (for the first time in a boat) cant wait. so when are you going back? haha. ps anyone ever seen a brown trout from lake wallace? ive only ever managed rainbows.

Planning to head back there in the next couple of weeks.

I've never seen one from Wallace lake but I have read reports of brown trout being caught at the lake and they

were big ones too. They stock the lake with both rainbow and brown trout but they put in a lot more rainbow trout then

brown trout.

Well done on your 1st trout Andrew! :thumbup:

Or I should say 1st 4!! :1prop:

Those fish look in top condition as well. Good move staying away from Lyell I reckon.

To do it all from a yak is even better.

I bet they smoked up a treat.

Great stuff mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

I think Lyell would have been crazy on the water.

It was great on Wallace as I pretty much had the lake to myself as no petrol powered craft are allowed on the lake.

The trout were beautiful smoked.

you make the trouting look fun mate. im in two minds to either get a tinnie or a canoe

either way im going to set them up with sounders and everything else.

mate got to ask hows the difference between the sea water then the fresh water, do you find that you have now

gathered some good knowlidge that may help with salt water fishing.

It was really fun.

Tough choice between a tinnie and canoe. Try out both and see which one best fits your needs.

Both types of fishing are very similar. Basically working the structure to find the fish. Work the shallow water in the early mornng and then work the deeper water when the sun is up.

Well done for your first trout Mako :biggrin2: - you certainly have shown some skill in both the salt and fresh water :fisher: Nothing better than great scenery and the taste of success. I must try for some trout this year as I am yet to catch one.

Give the trout a go they are fun to catch and it is a nice change from saltwater fishing and they are great eating when smoked.

Andrew,

What a top post and some scorching first trout....you must be stoked! Looks like a great change from WB!

I was really happy to get some trout on my first outing and it was a nice change from chasing bream in Woolooware Bay.

Nice fish Mako, fish like that certainly put up a good fight. Well done :thumbup:

I was surprised with how well the trout fought. Long runs and plenty of jumps.