Sydney North

knapers

I dont fish it, but i thought i would call fisheries today and ask them what was happening with it. I spoke to a top bloke on the phone and he said that he would be replacing it or trying to find it either tomorrow or the next day. It will probably be there by the weekend, i dont know if the dollies with be back but the fad will :biggrin2:

Cheers, Knapers.

Guest Jocool

The Sydney FAD is actually a wave measuring apparatus. As such it needs to be there constantly. Well thats as far as I know anyway! :1prop:

Guest Jocool
I thought there's separate waverider bouys and FAD's.

I'm just rehashing what I've heard, I may have been misinformed.

43056[/snapback]

Like you...I'm just relaying what I have heard! :wacko: I could also be wrong!

Do 2 wrongs make a right??? :1prop:

Guest Jocool

I just looked at the BOM site, and it lists the Waverider at these coordinates....

LAT 33� 46� 54" S

LONG 151� 25� 29" E

Does that correspond with the Sydney FADS coordinates?

ALSO....BOM dont have wave data for Sydney, suggesting that the Waverider is gone...I think they are one and the same! :wacko:

Jo, i think the waverider bouys are different from fad (fish attraction device) but you could be right. When we go to the fad we tend to drift fairly close to them and they dont look to hold any sort of technology that could resemble a wave rider

Guest bluecod

Guys,

The FADS are a completely different animal from the waverider bouys. Different organisation, different money [we pay for the FADs through our fishing licenses] different size and different purpose.

BTW if dollies are in the vicinity it won't take long for them to take residence. The other week when the Cap'n [he'll be lurking] was fishing the traps a pro boat came and removed the trap they were fishing :bump0ee: and re-deposited it about 300 yards away. They went and fished a different trap for a half hour then went and had a look at the re-positioned trap - sure enough there were dollies on it already, only after 45 minutes.

Guest Jocool

Knaps...I been out there to the Waveriders...All it is, is a little bouy with a flag on top.

Like this..... Havent been to the FADS though!!!!

Bluecod, i hope the pro boat didnt remove a fisheries fad, i would have been tempted to jump him.

Jo, the Fad doesnt have a flag on the top, but it could just be the different wave bouys out there. I will find the co-ordinates for the Fad.

Guest bluecod
Bluecod, i hope the pro boat didnt remove a fisheries fad, i would have been tempted to jump him.

43072[/snapback]

No mate, it was already gone. The Cap'n also reported the pro released all the undersize fish out of the trap as well. :thumbup:

Knaps...I been out there to the Waveriders...All it is, is a little bouy with a flag on top.

Like this..... Havent been to the FADS though!!!!

43068[/snapback]

I often wonder how larger boats at night avoid running into those buoys or traps.. I would imagine the co-ordinates of the wave riders and fads are published, but surely they would be a danger to people who were not in the know..

fads are deliberately placed and are nowhere near the shipping lanes.

they shouldnt have a problem avoiding them.

dollies dont take long to take up homes, might take a week or so for decent numbers, but if you find any floating debris in a current line. you can guarantee a few dollies will be under it.

as said before fads are strictly fads (fish aggrivating devices)

the wave rider buoys will attract dollies as well, but the fads are designed for one thing.

Guest Jocool

OK...So they are 2 different things. If I have been to the Waveriders, would it be as far to get to the FAD of Sydney (if it were there) or further?

Guest bluecod
OK...So they are 2 different things. If I have been to the Waveriders, would it be as far to get to the FAD of Sydney (if it were there) or further?

43107[/snapback]

Joe,

put it this way - Sydney North Fad is about 20 klms out, I have a 4.3 centre console Quintrex with a 50 hp Yammy, had I been using it regularly and with confidence in the motor I would give it a shot very early in the day provided I had flat seas, <10 knot wind forecast, a good radio [preferably VHF] with mobile phone back-up and basic tool kit/spares. I would prefer to go in tandem with another boat and even then, the first puff of wind resembling ten knots would see me heading back in as fast as it would go. You may get two or three chances a season, but around this time of year may be your best bet.

When I was young and stupid I had been out 16 nautical miles in a 16' Dehaviland with only minor mishap :1yikes: but was able to fix the problem and come back in under my own steam [i also got a load of lumber that had fallen off a freighter] :yahoo: .

You seem fairly determined to get outside as far as you can, why don't you pick your weather and take a run out to the Peak - that's only 7 mile and will give you a pretty good idea of your boat's capabilities [ its also well within 27mghz range of Coast Guard Sydney]. Don't forget that your tiller steer will be sending vibrations up your arm for extended periods and that by itself is going to be bloody uncomfortable. :wacko:

Guest Jocool
You seem fairly determined to get outside as far as you can,

43111[/snapback]

:074: Don't get me wrong...I dont think I would go that far in my boat. I was just curious as to how far out they are. When I went to the Waveriders, it was in a 702 Signature!

its perfectly safe.

you dont need a vhf. you get perfect reception on the 27mhz.

i have been at boxhead and my mate has been at browns mountain and raised him on the 27mhz

when you guys were out at the pittwater social i was at the fad talking to a few of u on the radio.

80% of the fishing i do in my 5.2m centrecab is done on the shelf.

you just gotta be smart about it. and yeah tandem with another boat is always a good thing just in case.

i dont know if id be going out to the fad in your boat joe unless its super flat, but in a 4.3m centre console you could do the shelf easy.

7m haines you should have been at browns not the wave rider!!! :)