New Rod - Lox 7'6 1-3Kg

woodch0p

Hey everyone,

During the easter break had a mate break my 7ft 2-4kg rod (decided to use it as a handle when the seas got choppy...) so I ended up getting myself an easter present. Was going to get a nitro, but after seeing it and the Lox side by side the only difference is the label, binding highlight and price. The handle is identical, guides and guide spacing the same, both blanks are IM8, I even loaded them up side by side for an identical curve at same pressure. Lox also offers $50 lifetime warranty on breaks, compared to nitro's $60. Very impressed!

Now after putting my browning tf1020 on the rod it felt unbalanced, so I am going to treat myself to a new reel. The okuma v-system 15 has hit the top of my list on bang for your buck and also the added lifetime warranty, but does anyone else have any reccomendations on a small reel. I am pretty flexible on the price, willing to spend $500 but am wanting to justify the extra dollars spent on reel quality and performance, not labels and fancy finishes.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Edited by woodch0p

You mean Lox ? Yeah they are a beautiful rod had a looky a few of the new sample rods there going to be bringing into the country and i like them alot :) Copy of a Nitro.

As for reel, i reakon the Stradic c14 is very nice and light too, Saying that i own one. I've heard alot of good things about SOLS too :1fishing1:

If you look around you should be able to find a stella 1000fb landed in Aus..

I got mine for 450 from a sydney tackle shop so take a look around...

Only problem with it is the drag is damn quiet..

Other reels to look at within that price range that i would look t would be certates or luvias'

Wow, with a $500 budget, your options are quite wide.

I would suggest setting the value of the reel as a factor of the value of the rod as one way to set the budget to make the whole outfit more 'balanced' cost wise. So, say the reel could be equal to 1.5 to 2 times the cost of the rod. You'll typically find those using top end reels will have custom sticks or high end factory produced rods. If you have a sports car, you'd want to get performance tyres, etc. Then again, I've heard of people who put more emphasis on getting the best rods for their fishing with the reels further down the order of importance.

I too have the 7'6" Lox and it's great for flats work. The extra length allows long casts when matched with the lightest of lines. I run mine with a 2000 sized Daiwa Tierra but - a word of warning - it's tip heavy. The Tierra is 245g. Due to the short butt and long rod length, the rod will always be tip heavy. Putting a heavier reel may bring the balance point closer to the reel so maybe that should be the most critical factor. You may want to go with a 2500 sized reel instead from the Shimano stable say the Twinpower. I don't really mind the tip heaviness of the rod as it's so light anyway and if you fish the rod in isolation, it may not be an issue an all. My problem is that I also have the 6'6" one matched to a 2004 Revros (250g) and it is far better balanced.

Hope this helps

I'd agree with you on the V System 15. I've got 2 of them and swear by them the only concern I have is the spool capacity is tiny (you'll find a 125lb spool of 2lb gel spun line will fill it up) but that just adds to the fun when fishing ultra light tackle. If this freaks you out you might wanna consider the 20 which has a slightly larger line capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day woodch0p,

That's a really light rod... something like 70 or 80grams or close to that. I'd go for a light reel to go with it like a Daiwa Luvias, Daiwa Steez, or Shimano Stradic Ci4. The whole outfit will feel like a feather in your hand.

Cheers, Slinky

Would have to agree with pmak,

after using that rod it feels quite tip heavy and is definately suited to a 2000 to 2500 sized reel, and one with a bit of weight . The 1000 size reels are great but wouls usually light for that rod and personally I would prefer a stradic Ci4 2500 on the rod or another brand in the 2500 size. I have a 4 yr old certate 2000 it has some weight to it and would suit that rod well but im not shore if they have changed the weight of these reels in recent times. pmak hit the nail on the head , the heavier reel moves the balance point back down the rod . This in turn makes it feel more comfortable when casting.

Enjoy your new rod , would probably be a good idea to take it into the store and put a few different size reels on it and see which one suits you the best , as it's your outfit and only you will know what feels right to you.

Happy fishing.

thanks for the replies everyone,

Have decided to go for an abu garcia soron after reading slinkys post about his new toy. I own a fair few older abu's (old school 300's and 301's plus a 5600, all swedish made), love them to death. The only reason I got turned off is when they moved their production to asia the price never dropped. But they still represent value for money compared to the market leaders, plus will leave me a bit of coin in the kitty for my next splurge.

thanks for the replies everyone,

Have decided to go for an abu garcia soron after reading slinkys post about his new toy. I own a fair few older abu's (old school 300's and 301's plus a 5600, all swedish made), love them to death. The only reason I got turned off is when they moved their production to asia the price never dropped. But they still represent value for money compared to the market leaders, plus will leave me a bit of coin in the kitty for my next splurge.

That will be a nice fit for that rod. Well done.

I'm sure you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Grant.