Heartbroken

tentonner

Today due to a pesky salmon not cooperating and my own poor attempts at netting it and a rolling swell I have broken clean in half my newest most favourite rod, a Berkley ProTactic 1 piece. Im absolutely spewing

Im gonna make an assumption that due to the rod being broken about halfway down that it is not fixable and that Berkley aren't going to replace it for me?

If anybody knows of a solution other than forking out the dollars for a new one I would love to know?????

Today due to a pesky salmon not cooperating and my own poor attempts at netting it and a rolling swell I have broken clean in half my newest most favourite rod, a Berkley ProTactic 1 piece. Im absolutely spewing

Im gonna make an assumption that due to the rod being broken about halfway down that it is not fixable and that Berkley aren't going to replace it for me?

If anybody knows of a solution other than forking out the dollars for a new one I would love to know?????

I think its probably too stuffed to be repaired successfully sorry to say. Which Pro tactic was it?

C.

You can put an internal sleeve in it if you want to save the rod , if its halfway down that isn't the worst spot , i assume its in front of your stripper guide? You can sleeve it and that will stiffen the rod in that area a bit but at least you have a rod while you save up for your next purchase it should still cast well , I have repaired rods for customers before like this and it isn't hard to do , and if not at least it's an excuse to buy a new rod.

Bubba

Shame about the break, TT - so basically you 'high sticked it' too far & it snapped when retrieving the salmon!?? Bummer. I take it that the rod doesn't have any form of return policy?

I am with Bubba on this one - you may as well have a go at mending it as a 'spare' or a 'friend/family' to use! I hang onto any busted bits of rod i find & often use them to repair mine or friends rods when they break. If the break is near a guide, you could do the internal sleeve - (you will have to access the inside from the bottom of the handle area for the final put together) but can just pop it into the top bit & test it for fit - you want it to be snug on both sides tho - I usually put a bit of araldyte inside the busted top bit, so when you shove the internal sleeve up .... it stays there!! The bottom bit will have to be fitted at the same time as the top otherwise it won't work ..... so take your time setting it up & before you do the araldyte. Then, if possible remove the nearest runner (if not too far away) and bind the whole area where the break is (& the runner will be replaced), so that the binding goes beyond the feet of the runner, then over bind the runner back on! Sounds tricky, but it isn't really! Some epoxy resin over the binding & foot of the runner & all should be sweet (but keep the rod turning until the resin 'goes off' so it doesn't dribble. If it is on your lap, just keep rolling the rod back & forth (without touching the resin) & it doesn't normally take too long to 'go off'. I use a D battery 'bbq rotisserie' to roll mine all night, it works a treat!

There are plenty of ''how to's'' that you can google up - eg 'repair broken fishing rod' etc & some take you thru a step by step process.

Good luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

thanks for the replies guys

Roberta it broke because it was sitting up right in a rod holder next to where i was leaning over with the net. As a wave hit the boat i felt myself going overboard and instinctively grabbed something near to me which unfortunately was the rod. Couldnt believe myself after it happened anyway have decided to try and repair the rod