The Local Is Alive

johnny doi

gday raiders,

thought id share with you my latest noteworthy catch from 6-4-10[tuesday].fishing plastics around my local waters chippo.fishing the high tide & the start of the runout,me & josh started in a channel where in the last couple days we both dropped a jew each on plastics.[we only fish lures around there]started off well with a nice fat bream in the mid 30cm range,hopes were high.we were both fishing squidgy fish pattern plastics in the same colour,grasshopper.we always fish different colours but we both rigged up at home b4 meeting so i thought when i loose this lure il change.after landing the bream,choppers made short work of it.

anyways we persisted in the rain with plenty lure changes for no result besides josh landing a high 40cm dusky flatty.we were about to call it quits cos of the lack of action & rain,plus we thought we missed the tide,therefore missing the jew bite.josh decided to try 1 last spot on the other side of the waterway hoping we might pick up a couple flathead b4 the sun was gone.at that stage[after 2-3hrs of casting & searching] i had a prerigged 3in storm shad softy on.i was casting across the mouth of a feeder creek where the water isnt more than 2-3mtrs deep.3rd cast,zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzz.im on big time.this fish moved fast toward the creek & heading straight for a big sunken tree.at that point i made the split decision to chase it.i handed josh my mobile to josh & went in the water.i was waist deep & shaking like a leaf.rain was falling,sun sinking in the sky & i had a big angry fish heading for the snag.he didnt quite make it to the tree,i held him off it about 2mtrs away from danger.he held his ground just sitting & shaking his head violently.this went on for about 3-5 tense minutes before he tired a bit & i could lead him out to open clear water.the whole fight lasted about 10mins in total.id work him close & he'd make a short burst.i knew i had him beat,he was mine.josh grabbed him by the gills & i was pumped,wet,cold but high on addrenilin.hi 5's & pats on the back.id landed another nice school jew within 2-3wks of my previous jew.he went 86cms & estimated around 5kgs or 10-12lb.it was landed on the same outfit as the last but different plastic.2-5kg rod,2500 reel & 6lb braid 8lb leader.i knew it was a nice jew after its first run.being in such shallow water,this fish went alot harder than his 93cm brother i last caught.it was a exciting fight,waist deep & alot of the fight trying to hold the fish away from structure.it was a rock solid text book hookup in the corner of his gob.he wasnt getting off unless my knots didnt hold or he found structure.it was hard work trying to get the hook out.lol.

josh,im sorry mate,you know i feel guilty.we'v been putting in the hours chasing these stinky silver slabs & he shouldv been yours mate.your bday fish.dont worry brother,we'l get him for you tonight.so watch out jewies,we'r coming to get you.hahahaha.

thanks for reading raiders,

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Outstanding result Johnny and it is good to see a nice jewie capture by a landbased lure fisherman :thumbup: Obviously you have found some good holes and continue to persist, all of which are so important for jewies.....once agoin well done.

PS - what size jighead and hook are you using?

hi guys,thanx for the kind words.just got back from a 2hr session.persisted in the rain in the storm front for only a flatty each for me & josh.

STEWY,the water up there has been pretty good.today it was a bit murkier but not chocolate.theres been lots of bait around in the form of mullet,herring & chopper tailor.

BASSCATCHER,the jig head i usually start off with is usually 1/0 hook & 3.5gram head.the bigger jew i caught was on a size 4 hook,3gram head & 3in grub tail.wasnt expecting a jew that time,mostly bream & flattys.since then,we pretty much run 1-2/0 hook on 1/8th,i think.3.5gm-7gm,1/4 ounce since specificly targeting the jew.the 86cm jew caught on tuesday was on a pre-rigged 100mm storm wildeye swim shad in the 3/8th[10gm] weight & geussing it was a 2/0 hook.both jew landed were solid in the corner of the jaw.

the jew josh hooked up to ended in a pulled hook on a pink squidgy fish 100mm.the 1 that busted me off on structure was on the tough old squidgy shad in black/gold colour.

we'l be out after em again tomorrow LB but will be pretty much all day session.chasing jew on the tide changes & bream & flattys inbetween.hope we get a few.the rain doesnt bother us,we'r keen as.lol.will let you know how we go.im not registered to fish the pirtek challenge,but if any1 needs company,boat or LB,let me know.

CHEERS JOHNNY. :beersmile::thumbup: