Cork Washers

need help! how do i get the cork washers out of this reel so i can replace them.they are glued in,dont know what sort of glue was used.its a abu 6600c3 ld.thks in advance,kind regards wallacewt glue used is swedish called 555.abu recommends acetone as the solvent painted the cork washer today with the wifes nail polish remover, glue went to jelly in a couple of mins;lifted off undamaged. slapped some cals both sides till the carbon washers arrive.its terrific at present but wont last! hope this helps other raiders. cheers

Edited by wallacewt

G'day wallacewt,

Is that the lever drag model? Are you sure it's a cork drag washer as I've not seen an ABU with one before. Saying that though I've not pulled down a 6600C3.

Are you able to take a pic?

Cheers, Slinky

hi slinky,yeah they r cork alright.alan tani had to chisel his out.took all day he said.selleys cant give me a solvent unless they know the glue.sent an email to abu,no reply yet.ican take a photo but dont know how to post it.cork is meant to be dry ,not very good.tried graphite powder,u bewdy,about 6 pulls at 7lb drag,s--t itself.cals same result.its got to come out.to my knowledge they were the ist b/c with lever drag' i,ll take aphoto to morrow and get someone to help me.kind regards wallace

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately with the early reels with level drags, cork was the standard. I think you will have to resort to to manual removal but try a good soak in solvent (with acetone) first. I'm not sure what you would replace it with as not sure you could get Carbontex in the thickness you need so will need to build it up it with a number of washers.