What Type Of Fish Are There At This Time.

fishsong

Hey all,

It seems that the pelegics are not coming into the harbour as much as the previous months.

I was just wondering what type of fish I should be targeting lb during this time of the year.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Hey all,

It seems that the pelegics are not coming into the harbour as much as the previous months.

I was just wondering what type of fish I should be targeting lb during this time of the year.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Hey mate

This time of the year there would be some of the larger pelegics still hanging around so i would still be definately be targetting them. Bream are thick in the harbour ATM. fish light sinkers as the smallest bites are usually nice size bream. I find this time off the year is still pretty good fishing as the pressure is hanging around the 1020 more often which usually puts the fish on the bite and the water temp is still above 20 degrees. The end of the run in and start of the run out tide is fishing good ATM. Fish fresh bait. Im fishing by boat but im presuming around blues point and the peirs in the harbour by land should fish ok especially this week as we have great tides for fishing. Good luck mate.

Cheers

Hey all,

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Fishsong Most estuary fish are seasoned travellers and spawn anywhere along the coastline regardless of season provided that conditions suit in the particular part of the coastline...

While Sydney has never been regarded as a fishing haven it seems to be not far from being a full on fishing haven right now... Going on the numbers of fish caught in general including the out of season and quite a few out of area species that have encountered over the past 18 months or so, there seems to be a radical change happening in our part of the coastline ..Thus in answer to your question - if you were in a position where you are able to go out often enough for the rest of the year for instance, you would more than likely strike almost any predominant northern or colloquial southern species at some stage or other and especially due to the fact that there's been a mile of fish caught in general all over the Sydney area and the over abundance of yellow fin bream is particarly noticable which I'd say may well be at the expense of the central south coast ...

In respect of your question about pelagics coming into the Sydney area, or perhaps coming in close or coming in around the heads for instance - As an example of how tuna travel looking for better conditions, the Bermagui trawlers often used to spend many a Christmas as far north as Mooloolabah and Maroochydoor.. a friend of mine was associated with a far northern boat that was doing a run last year said they travelled as far south as Sydney ...

One particular winter which seems like decades ago Sydney experienced an over abundance of trevally and tarwhine and this year Botany Bay had been showing fair catches of Tarwine in the summer months and apparently the schools are still here even at this stage of winter...So it will be interesting to see how well this winter fishes for tarwhine. In previous winters there were no fish all thru the run out at Captain Cook Bridge and the jew baits would get suddenly hit out of nowhere by a big school of trevally throw backs and that was general always on the most miserable nights imaginable ..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: