40 Kegger Yellowfin Se Of Browns Thursday 22Nd April 2010

roosterman

Well guys with the sporadic big tuna and marlin bycatch atm i jumped at a chance to join some mates out in the big blue yonder.the weather was absolutely as good as it gets with barely a swell or ripple glorious sunshing and an eager crew.and a weekday with no crowds,pretty close to fishing heaven i say and we were hoping the fish would add to all other perfect ingredients.

The last couple days have been hard fishing with many not turning a reel but despite this we remained positive.

First stop was to add to the ever increasing artificial jig reef at the 12 mile.:ranting2:. 5 or 6 jigs in quick succession saw us steaming out to browns and beyond leaving the jackets behind....

We were heading NE of browns with a spread of 7 mixed lures,all artillery was out gunning for some reel screamin action.along the way we saw the usual dolphins,whales etc but not the bird action that gets all fishoes adrenaline pumping.

There was radio chatter of good numbers of beakies raised with multiples and tales of zero's following for some which eventually was too much so after we were about 6nm ne we turned and started to troll sth.

What a great call this was as less than half hr later we call fin jumping :1yikes:,to our left and about a k or so away we had the priviledge of seeing huge kegger fin launching out of the water one which was several lengths up.:1yikes:

,this is in 26 deg water... we turned and got the spread into the kill zone and 4 eager anglers spirits were once again racing.well what a fizzer it ended as no fin raised so we immediately threw pillies in and started a trail.less than 20 mins into it a trailerboat screams straight for us,then stops just short of the trail a few hundred mtres off.:badmood:. wanks..big ocean,no temp break in water of 26.poor form.:nono:.

Well there was no wind but the current was 3knts and the 2 mad men were jigging while we fed cubes with secretly hidden hooks in em.we drifted for at least 3hrs and were well sth of browns when i noticed the first fish in the trail.my heart raced as i saw this kegger cruise in my pilly disappeared then ..... it appeared again...bloody thing swam right past it..:074:.. not long after this i had a tap and small run but the thief stole my pilly at the same time the skipper gets a hit after saying ill show ya how its done.:1worthy:.your gotta be kidding,ya just had to be there was a real cracker..

Anyways just after skipper passes rod over piiiiiiing,off it goes... bummer as it was a good fish...

Well no time to waste we kept feeding pillies and popping and jigging..

My pillie is about 15 mtres or so out then im on,line peels out fast i slowly up drag to strike.woooohoooo im on.this fish pulls 4kg strike drag then all of a sudden it turns and comes back up.i wind like a mad man possessed keeping pressure on then bang the silly thing realises its hooked and screams off at a rate of knts. I up drag to sunset 8kg and this helps sway the battle in my favour.

I rip into him and eventually we get color and those beautiful circles tuna do showing all there colors..

After some tense nail biting moments we finally get gaffs in and drag him aboard...wooooohooooo

Hi 5's all round and a few pics etc..

Was called for 35kg and i know i struggled to hold the slippery sucker..

I measured it with brag mat and i think it was 130 to fork and 140 something to tail..

I checked a tuna chart and it says this is 46kg but i don't think it was that heavy ???

Anyhow total weight isn't really an issue just a benchmark for newer pb's .

Unfortunately we didn't get another hit and watched an awesome sunset then pulled up the lines and 4 weary anglers headed home.we punched 20 knts alot of way home with hardly a bump it was still so flat.

Big thanks to a crew of great blokes and look foreward to doing it again..

post-2219-127202827345_thumb.jpg

a very happy angler

post-2219-127202829509_thumb.jpg

post-2219-127202830552_thumb.jpg

check out the spread.lol.

post-2219-127202832866_thumb.jpg

how nice is that sunset.hey where did Australia go......hope the compass works..lol...

post-2219-127202833703_thumb.jpg

fridays brekkie and lunch.

heres a vid.

Cheers...steve.....

Edited by roosterman

Marvelous looking fish there steve, well done :thumbup:

Unlucky for you to not have hooked more fish but that's the way it is with fishing.

And you guys could've been in some trouble if you hooked up with that massive spread :074:

Monch

thx for the replies guys..

couple of interesting facts if you didnt pick up on them..

temp of 26 had big fin feeding.??? was there a thermocline we didnt pick up on ????

we were jigging and there was fish in the trail.did this put them off as we saw some breaching wide around the time of fish hooked ???

the fish up nth seemed to be moving fast so is prob reason why trolling has had best success rate atm,well at least to find them..

the 100 fth line has been holding good bait for a while with marlin and closer in...mmmmm food for thought...

hopefully the bigger schools will arrive shortly and settle in somewhere around the mount and the water stays good...

cheers....steve.....