Monday On The Bay

quangvo1989

G'day Raiders

Yesterday my uncle had to work in the morning and only have half a day off so out with the great weather we went out at 2pm with my mate from uni. Gathering bait at the usual spot was harder than early in the morning with the large number of dart-like black fish around (I don't really know what they are called exactly) but we managed around 8 bait size yakkas and some larger ones.

Drifting at the sticks area produced a few breams and my buddy was quite happy with a nice trevally first time out on a boat. The wind eased and we went to anchor close to trevally alley at 4pm, the yakkas were deployed with confidence when bait schools could be seen on the sounder. My first bait got smashed but failed to connect, my uncle casted the next one out and bang! after a short fight one 75 cm king was in the boat. Close to high tide I could tell something took the yakka , what felt like dead weight turned into a little jew, my second one ever. Got another hit later when my mate convinced to me to take photo and I could not grab the rod in time for a strike :mad3: The action slowed down and we decided to head home for dinner. After witnessing the kingie fight my mate is now pretty excited about getting his first one :biggrin2:

4556984738_45a2f52023.jpg

4556361517_43ee02f580.jpg

post-8486-12723442166_thumb.jpg

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

That spot is right below where I have my lunch break most of the week days! I do see boats moving in and out mid of the day but never seen anybody caught decent fish. A few guys do land based fishing there walking down the concrete block and most of time they do better than those fishing from the boat! I went to try once and only caught two travs before rain ruined my fishing.

The black dart-like fish is most likely sweeps. A few weeks back I saw a guy taking them there with a fish every cast. I once targeted them at the "safe rock" at Copacabana at a revenge fishing trip using small hook and small peeled prowns because my previous trip was stuffed up by them taking my pillies instantly. Those little fish are good eating though not much meat due to its size not that big.

Well done on the two fish, they are dream fish for a lot of new raiders here like me.

Charles

Sounds like a great little session you had there. Jewies and kingys, what more could you ask for :thumbup:

Monday arvo session on the water would have been coooolddd

Great fish, and great pics with that nice sunset backdrop :)

Monch

Thanks for the positive feed-backs guys, really appreciate it. :thumbup:

Yes it was a tad cold but we were prepared so the wind was not much of a problem, sunset was beautiful Monch [:

To Charles, you are spot on, I simply forgot what those little pickers are called. The meat looks pretty good and we do fillet them for yakka bait sometimes, talking about revenge ^^.

Molineaux Point is our favorite spot for kingie in the bay if you have been following my posts, but I agree even though there are always heaps of boats around I have not seen many hookups. Early Nov we get good runs of trevally there as well, since we started targeting and catching kings consistently from last year most of the larger hoods were caught around the point and close to the deeper channel, we also got a few around the oil wharf and only one good run at the runway while Scotty's charter boat got many good kings there.

The water is not too cold yet so get some livies and wet the line, its still worth getting a shot for them before winter and I hope everyone fishing the bay gets screaming drags.

Cheers,

Ryan

that little rod looks like a $250 rod I seen in the tackle shop, lite and thing and mean, will hold 40 pounds of drag.

:biggrin2: Actually it was a much cheaper rod ~150 bucks, however one of the best budget rods you can find out there in my opinion. The one I was using is a 15kg or PE3 Ugly Stik Bluewater Jig Spin, all fuji components (alconite guides, sic tip) and a great blank, more give than most full carbon rods but still has plenty of back bone unlike the normal ugly stik range, easily lift 6kg dead weight and run 8 kg drag. I have caught my fair share of kingies on that rod in Botany and Jervis Bay and will recommend it to anyone looking for a entry-level parabolic action jigging rod, there are heavier models to suit other needs as well.

A bit more about the gear we used:

Ugly Stik as mentioned

Silstar 15kg rod

Bairunner 8000D and 12000D

Powerpro braid to 40lb and fluoro leader to 50lb

Gama and Owner live bait hooks

Of course you can get away with much lighter gear and have more fun tackling the rats but we prefer to have a better chance against the bigger fish especially when fishing that close to structure.

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by QVCiticaDSV