Sounder Power Trouble

Captain Spanner

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction with my Furuno LS4100 that is few years old. Last weekend i had a little boating trouble. Motor tilted up to max, raised travelling brace, motor wouldn't go down. So i immediately assumed lack of power or poor connection. The only thing that worked in the boat was the Furuno. After mucking around with the connections, battery out of the car etc. I pulled the boat out and took it home.

After jiggling the trim switches (difficult when you can only just fit your hand under the cowling) i got some action. i then replaced (to be on the safe side) the trim switches in the outboard and cleaned up my battery terminals and connections. The only thing that didn't work was the Furuno. No fuses blown, more than 12V at the battery, 12.6V on the wires before the magic round plug that goes into the sounder. By cutting, cleaning, sharpening a bobby pin and taping these new needles to my multi meter i got about 9.5V in the power terminals in the magic round plug that goes in the sounder (i am happy to accept that my reading may be lower due to dodgy contact methods in measurement). There was minor corrosion in the round plug but i cleaned it easily with innox and a piece of 80lb mono and it looks ok (as far as i can see). The unit still doesn't even look like turning on. The required Voltage range is between 10 and 16V, otherwise there should be a low voltage sign on the screen. I think i should have enough power for at least this to work as i have enough to start and run my motor.

I took the unit down to my place of purchase and plugged it into their demo power supply and it turned on 1st go.

All i can think of is that maybe the corrosion in the plug is not allowing good contact when it is fitted to the unit. My next guess would be order in a new plug and rewire it and hope it works. Can anyone on here tell me if im close, how much $$$ and time this guessing process may cost or have a better answer for me.

Thanks guys

Generally you have to buy a new power lead in that circumstance..unlikely to be able to get a plug. Leads are about $60 I think.

If your reading of 9.6v is correct often equipment will warn of a low voltage if running but won't power up on a low voltage. A $15 gamble would be to go to Jaycar and get a proper electronic contact cleaning spray that will actually etch back the coating on the connector..may just get you out of trouble.

C.

• 3 weeks later...