Newbie Harbor Tips

camb1988

Hey guys going out this weekend on the harbor for the second time not land based. Last time found some smaller stuff and baits fine but couldn't find anything decent. Was hoping for something sporting like kings or salmon but any fish will do. If anyone has any general tips or spots that they would like to share it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

a bit more info would be good eg boat size .do you have a sounder a gps are you set up for night fishing

if your just starting to fish the harbor try around sour and pigs south side for the run in and north side for the run out a good berly trail

and float baits free spooling down the berly trail

a peeled prawn will acount for many fish this way fresh squid is proberly the best bait on the runout for kings

cheers gary

Go early morning and look for surface activity. Another month and the salmon will be in numbers. Look for surface activity and use a metal lure and if you find the salmon on the surface you will catch them. Don't get too close or you will spook them. Keep your distance. As for kingfish try a drift around middle head with a live yakka. There are still some around but slowly thinning out. If sporting is what your after I suggest 2 to 4 kg rods, 2000 series reels and 6lb line around shark island after burleying and hold on to the bream and trevally , flathead, frigates and small snapper about. They will put up a fight and all you need for bait is a block of WA pillies. But as fishing goes that's no gaurantee!

a bit more info would be good eg boat size .do you have a sounder a gps are you set up for night fishing

if your just starting to fish the harbor try around sour and pigs south side for the run in and north side for the run out a good berly trail

and float baits free spooling down the berly trail

a peeled prawn will acount for many fish this way fresh squid is proberly the best bait on the runout for kings

cheers gary

I have a 14ft centre console tinny, not really set up for night fishing, in the process of getting a gps sounder. We ended up getting quite a few small snapper and such (all released) at sour and pigs and i ended up getting my first flathead in a small bay near roseville. Only measured 40 cm but i have to start somewhere :). Thanks for the help guys this site is really helpful!!!

Edited by camb1988