Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished the deep out from Lilli Pilli. Pulled out 4 reddies (32,33,40,47cm), 2 tailor over 40cm and a 43cm blue spotted flathead (normally catch them outside, however, have caught the odd one in the port) Released the 2 smaller reddies. Used squid and salted tailor. The largest reddie was nearly 1.5 kg.

No yellowtail about, but something grabbed the size 10 hook and tiny bait and put up a good fight until right near the boat when the line broke. A silver flash under the boat looked like a small jew.

Returned to Gunnamatta Bay to put the boat away, and thought I would try for a squid. Picked up a medium size calamari then nothing. Pulled up the jig to go home and a small school of similar sized squid chased in the jig and sat beside the boat. Schools of these don't hang around long, so I threw the jig back and pulled out 4 more in about 1 minute, until the water turned black and the rest swam off. Inside of the boat was black, and I copped a black hit to the stomach area.

Reminds me of an Italian fishing mate many years ago, who had never caught a squid. A big one followed his bait in and stayed under the boat, so I gave him a jig line and told him the jerk the line. The squid grabbed the jig straight away, and before I could say "Don't pull it into the boat just yet", my mate looked over the side of the boat to see what was happening, and copped a direct hit in the face and into his mouth. His face and clothes were jet black. :074:

Yowie.