The Kimberley 2010

mgj

Just got back after spending two weeks on a mothership which had 2 jet dories.We went between Kunnunara and Broome.

We went to 'secret' reefs 40 miles offshore,and inshore.I used mainly fly and landed GTs;Spaniards;Queenies and enormous

Fingermark-those things pull like Black Bass! I also used the jig on occasion-the takes were electric.

Mark

post-2678-127278507695_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278511594_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278515957_thumb.jpg

Just got back after spending two weeks on a mothership which had 2 jet dories.We went between Kunnunara and Broome.

We went to 'secret' reefs 40 miles offshore,and inshore.I used mainly fly and landed GTs;Spaniards;Queenies and enormous

Fingermark-those things pull like Black Bass! I also used the jig on occasion-the takes were electric.

Mark

Here are some of the GTs;Fingermark and Spaniards.They came around the boats repeatedly and could be caught on fly;jigs;lures etc.

Mark

post-2678-127278778701_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278781095_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278784688_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the GTs;Fingermark and Spaniards.They came around the boats repeatedly and could be caught on fly;jigs;lures etc.

Mark

Finally hooked up on fly.

post-2678-127278801168_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278805351_thumb.jpg

post-2678-127278808414_thumb.jpg

MGI,

you are my kind of bloke- going to remote places and of course on fly!.

Now this whole business of Black Bass- without me going through the archives, have you chased those in PNG?.

If you have then OMFG- you have my respect because I would give up most things to go to chase them. In fact my heart is torn between the following?:

1: Summer in Alaska ( where I live ) fishing the Kenai and millions of other lakes or...

2: Rivers Inlet

3: Coppermine River in Kugluktuk ( Coppermine) Northwest Territories, Canada

4: Seychelles Bones and GT's

I have been saving all year, and my weekly expenditures are minimal, so all of the above are viable.

I'm in Aus for the next 4-6 weeks ( my old man is sick), so although I spend most days helping Mum, I still have gotten out to the Bluies to fish, as well as Narrabeen.

In the last 10 years living in the Canadian and Alaskan Arctic I spent most summers ( July to end of Sept) flyfishing in lakes in the communities I worked in.

In the last 8 weeks I have SERIOUSLY considered moving back here to Australia for the next 2 years, and if so, will work Locums in FNQ ( Arurukun, Pompurraw, Weipa et al, or Coral Bay/Ningaloo region). anywhere where I can launch a boat and catch big fish on fly.

My 5 year plan ( as per Cassandra...LOL) is to finish our Log House in Alaska which we paid 230K for the land in a remote area near Nome, and for both of us to get our pilots licence so we can purchase a Cessna 180 with floats, as the only way into our place/land is either by plane, boat or skidoo in winter). So instead of buying 3 SUV's, I can pick up a good Cessna for around $100K. Worth the cash as Avgas is fairly cheap in Alaska.

Now i'm getting of topic.

Well done, wish I had been on that trip

MGI,

you are my kind of bloke- going to remote places and of course on fly!.

Now this whole business of Black Bass- without me going through the archives, have you chased those in PNG?.

If you have then OMFG- you have my respect because I would give up most things to go to chase them. In fact my heart is torn between the following?:

1: Summer in Alaska ( where I live ) fishing the Kenai and millions of other lakes or...

2: Rivers Inlet

3: Coppermine River in Kugluktuk ( Coppermine) Northwest Territories, Canada

4: Seychelles Bones and GT's

I have been saving all year, and my weekly expenditures are minimal, so all of the above are viable.

I'm in Aus for the next 4-6 weeks ( my old man is sick), so although I spend most days helping Mum, I still have gotten out to the Bluies to fish, as well as Narrabeen.

In the last 10 years living in the Canadian and Alaskan Arctic I spent most summers ( July to end of Sept) flyfishing in lakes in the communities I worked in.

In the last 8 weeks I have SERIOUSLY considered moving back here to Australia for the next 2 years, and if so, will work Locums in FNQ ( Arurukun, Pompurraw, Weipa et al, or Coral Bay/Ningaloo region). anywhere where I can launch a boat and catch big fish on fly.

My 5 year plan ( as per Cassandra...LOL) is to finish our Log House in Alaska which we paid 230K for the land in a remote area near Nome, and for both of us to get our pilots licence so we can purchase a Cessna 180 with floats, as the only way into our place/land is either by plane, boat or skidoo in winter). So instead of buying 3 SUV's, I can pick up a good Cessna for around $100K. Worth the cash as Avgas is fairly cheap in Alaska.

Now i'm getting of topic.

Well done, wish I had been on that trip

I have caught Black Bass in PNG-I had a world record,as the category had just begun,and I got a big one to the boat on fly ;landed it only to find I had 30lb leader on-all WRs on fly are only allowed 20lb leader! I got another big one

later in the week to the boat on 20lb-and lost it-these are the breaks.

I've tried to upload the pic of the big one I landed but it has too many bytes. I'll try again.

Cheers Mark

post-2678-127279306314_thumb.jpg

Mark,

TRhat trip looked very stressful with poor fishing results. Why don't you take some time off and spoil yourself! :biggrin2:

Rob,

Thanks,I'll take that advice onboard.

Luke,

Unfortunately no video-but a video of those big queenies;GTs smashing the poppers;flies would have been good.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by mgj

I'm booking my trip to PNG- that's it, I don't care about the beetlenut, the heat, remoteness and humidity. 20 pound leader you are the man, you have my " strict attention".

If their was another god I'd call it MGI

Great place to go fishing mgj.

That's almost cruel just giving us a couple of photos... I'd love to see more and hear about some of the fish you tangled with.

With most caught on fly there are probably a few record claims in there too. Have a look in the records section and any that you think are worthy, post 'em up.

Love it.... :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky