Royal National Park

Stippy

Hey raiders,

Planning a day of fishing in the Royal National Park this Saturday with a couple of mates.

We'll be bringing along light gear for throwing plastics and surf gear for the beach/stones.

Any ideas where we should head? I like the idea of Wattamolla and Garie Beach since we may be bringing along some kayaks.

There's not a lot of surf at Wattamolla, would it be a waste of time throwing shad style plastics?

Also does anyone know if there are gates that are locked in the evening? We might be there till late if the action is good.

Cheers,

Adam.

P.S Loving the site, providing a brilliant distraction from my studies :1prop:

Haha reading about jewies and kingfish beats the hell out of equitable choses in action any day of the week.

If nothing else we should pick up a flathead or two! I just hope we don't get outfished by the other blokes.

Hi Stippy Seeing you're from down that way, it might be worthwhile fishing for blackfish off the main rock platform on the northern side of Austimeer i.e. the rocks on the left hand side of the lifesaver's sheds at the far end of the car park.. On week days you could drive in thru the narrow opening next to the change rooms and park on the little grassy section and make your way around the rocks from there, you'll find there are some pretty good platforms to fish off too... As far as fishing the beach goes, Austimeer beach is too shallow for too far out whereas the rocks about three quarters of the way up towards the corner can fish quite well in general especially if you start from late in the afternoon and fish on into the night..I've seen heaps of blackfish caught down there during the winter months particularly by this group of blackfish fishermen from Bowral who stayed for the weekend and parked up near the sheds...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Stippy Seeing you're from down that way, it might be worthwhile fishing for blackfish off the main rock platform on the northern side of Austimeer i.e. the rocks on the left hand side of the lifesaver's sheds at the far end of the car park.. On week days you could drive in thru the narrow opening next to the change rooms and park on the little grassy section and make your way around the rocks from there, you'll find there are some pretty good platforms to fish off too... As far as fishing the beach goes, Austimeer beach is too shallow for too far out whereas the rocks about three quarters of the way up towards the corner can fish quite well in general especially if you start from late in the afternoon and fish on into the night..I've seen heaps of blackfish caught down there during the winter months particularly by this group of blackfish fishermen from Bowral who stayed for the weekend and parked up near the sheds...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks mate

I've been reading up on blackfish fishing with interest and it's nice to know that there's a good spot just down the road, one of these days I will have to shout out and get a blackfishing guru to show me the ropes (and the floats).

Still keen to try our luck in the national park this weekend though, I shall make a report if the trip produces anything worthy.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hey raiders,

Planning a day of fishing in the Royal National Park this Saturday with a couple of mates.

We'll be bringing along light gear for throwing plastics and surf gear for the beach/stones.

Any ideas where we should head? I like the idea of Wattamolla and Garie Beach since we may be bringing along some kayaks.

There's not a lot of surf at Wattamolla, would it be a waste of time throwing shad style plastics?

Also does anyone know if there are gates that are locked in the evening? We might be there till late if the action is good.

Cheers,

Adam.

P.S Loving the site, providing a brilliant distraction from my studies :1prop:

Gday pilchard, the gates at garie are definately locked! Be out of there by 9 pm or you will be doing an all nighter. Heaps of salmon off garie on pillies and gang hooks. I've found right in front of the car park is the most effective but early morning before sun is up or late arvo. Never caught anything good off sand in middle of day. Rocks at northern end produce salmon tailor and bream and they will fish alot better in the middle of the day than the sand. Plenty of blackies too but be very carefull up there. If there is any type of easterly blowing i wouldnt bother. And if the swell is going over the platform don't go up there! Hope this helps

Gday pilchard, the gates at garie are definately locked! Be out of there by 9 pm or you will be doing an all nighter. Heaps of salmon off garie on pillies and gang hooks. I've found right in front of the car park is the most effective but early morning before sun is up or late arvo. Never caught anything good off sand in middle of day. Rocks at northern end produce salmon tailor and bream and they will fish alot better in the middle of the day than the sand. Plenty of blackies too but be very carefull up there. If there is any type of easterly blowing i wouldnt bother. And if the swell is going over the platform don't go up there! Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips mate! We'll be out before 9 easy.

Garie is pretty exposed and I know it cops heaps when the swell is up (maybe I should bring my surfboard :biggrin2:) but rest assured none of us will be that keen to put ourselves in any danger. I'm quite happy to stick to wading in calm water throwing plastics!

Thanks again,

Adam.

Guest Aussie007
We might be there till late if the action is good.
lol no fish there mate :074: only kidding go to wattamalla walk through the bush go down the cliff to where the safety bouy is suppose to be and fish off of the rocks i was there maybe 3 weeks ago and on sunset there were litterly thousands of nice size salmon 60-70cm jumping right across the area of that little inlet sammy the seal was also there for a feed and i will assume plenty of sharks so good luck

the salmon were taking squid

Garie is a top spot as mentioned. It can get a little busy though. We use to camp overnight at the northern end where the sand dunes meet the foot of the mountain. You can collect wood and get a fire going. It is a great spot for camping & fishing. You then can wake up early and get into them (if your are not too hungover that is :biggrin2: )