Hard Work But Persist And You Get Rewarded

kosta_b

This is only my 2nd ever fishing report post as I don't get out as much as I would like to. Last week I posted a topic for some help in fishing St Georges basin, and thanks to a couple of posters managed to get myself a few fish. Thanks mainly to cut_loose and catch'n'release who's info was very helpful to get me started in an unfamiliar area, and with the :wife: a newbie and his missus in tow I really wanted to come home with a few fish to cook up. So a big thanks to you fellas.

After talking to some locals the day before we headed out, they all gave me the same message (that the fishing in the basin will be tough during the phase of the full moon), forever the optimist I persisted and we hired a boat from BOAB (highly recommended by the way), we headed off from Sanctuary point Boat Ramp at 6am and hit the first spot suggested by a couple of locals and the BOAB. Nothing on the sounder as we drifted in about 3.5m-4m deep water but we gave it about 45 minutes before deciding to move on to another spot. Everywhere we tried even observing where other boats were and following suit (while respecting their space of course), we came up with nothing but undersize whiting and snapper which of course all went back to grow bigger. And watching other boast move from spot to spot, you could tell the basin was not going to play nice today. :ranting2:

I cruised around a while and I decided to pull up in some water that looked "fishy' but we were the only boat there so I was not that confident, but thought to myself "to give it a shot anyway" so I decided we drift in around 8 meters of water.. Finally success, we managed to boat a 41cm flatty so it goes into the ice slurry. 5 minutes later a 43cm speciman is landed. Another 5 minutes a 47cm is landed. As the boat continued to drift into shallower water the bite stopped.

Thinking the fish are holding down deep I went back to the start of the drift and drifted over the 8 meter mark again. Success one again :thumbup::yahoo: then the :wife: sees her rod buckle over and a thumper of a fat 36cms bream is landed, she did well and it gave her a great fight on her light gear. She usually hands the rod over to me because she doesnt want to "lose" the fish being new to fishing but I convinced her to be patient and play the fish and she was rewarded. Within seconds a smaller specimen coming in at 32cms is landed, quickly followed by 30cm Trev. All into the Ice Slurry.

Another 3 Flathead we caught coming in at 33cm, 39, and 40cm which were let go to grow bigger as we had enough to feed the 4 of us.

post-6031-127294504215_thumb.jpg

So from left to right are the fish we kept and what it looked like after I cooked them up (i do fancy myself in the kitchen :074: )

Now they all have the fishing "bug" and I am already being harassed when our next trip out will be.

post-6031-127294512666_thumb.jpg

When is your next fishing trip Kosta and where do you live,

im cumin ova that night for some fish dinner, :biggrin2:

That pic of the cooked up fish has got my mouth watering mmmm :thumbup:

cheers

Thanks all. I am only learning to be more creative in the kitchen with fish as I do enjoy cooking, guests and the missus were very impressed and were harassing me about when the next trip is. I guess you cant get a better compliment than that.... :biggrin2:

Hopefully heres to more fishing adventures and more posts by me as I try to get out more.... wish I had a boat.... Landbased does restrict you somewhat in your catch...

Yiasoo Kosta,

Mate if your fishing skills matched your cooking skills, you would be bagging out every weekend !

That spread looks a million bucks. You should open a restaurant.

I also absolutely love cooking seafood - the majority of which I catch myself.

The only suggestion I would make is that I would be tempted to fillet and debone those fish, then cook them exactly the way you have done. This makes it easier to eat without having to wrestle with the bones.

As well as that, the leftover fish frames - well - a man of your cooking calibre could turn them into an entree of fishframe laksa to die for - or maybe a "fishframe and veggie soup" - whatever you like. No wasteage.

I've just finished my lunch and I'm hungry again - damn - I'm gonna call the missus and ask her to take out some fish from the freezer for dinner. Thanks for that wonderful post Kostaki...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Well done Kosta after a slow start. People will be following you on your next trip.

Looks like the cost of hiring the boat is not a prob if you can come up trumps like that more times than not.

Cheers

Yiasoo Kosta,

Mate if your fishing skills matched your cooking skills, you would be bagging out every weekend !

That spread looks a million bucks. You should open a restaurant.

I also absolutely love cooking seafood - the majority of which I catch myself.

The only suggestion I would make is that I would be tempted to fillet and debone those fish, then cook them exactly the way you have done. This makes it easier to eat without having to wrestle with the bones.

As well as that, the leftover fish frames - well - a man of your cooking calibre could turn them into an entree of fishframe laksa to die for - or maybe a "fishframe and veggie soup" - whatever you like. No wasteage.

I've just finished my lunch and I'm hungry again - damn - I'm gonna call the missus and ask her to take out some fish from the freezer for dinner. Thanks for that wonderful post Kostaki...

Tony

Thanks for the kind words Tony you certainly made me laugh...... and of course suggestion noted. I have done the recipe many times with fish I have filleted as well, but I believe the flavour of the fish is more intense when you cook a fish whole, definately fillets for the kids though.

As for opening a restaurant, the time it takes to run one will only take time away from fishing....I couldnt do that to myself

On the occasions I have filleted the fish, the frames and heads have gone into making a killer fish stock or reduced down with some crab shells/claws etc into one of the best tasting Bisques you will ever taste... Im always partial to a Laksa as well.

And another suggestion if you have got a really strong blender at home you use for berley, throw the frames into it (cooked or raw does not matter) with some Tuna oil (or any other liquid, but important to add liquid or you will ruin your blender blades)a couple of cloves of garlic and some grated raw potato and bread... freeze the blended mixture and add to your burley pot next time you go out, the slick it creates on the surface and the raw potato, bread and really fine fish frames the blender has created, slowly sink to the bottom, makes a killer burley trail but sshhhh dont tell anyone my secret mix which has worked for me many times. :secret:

Edited by King-Kosta