Drifting Rig - Settle A Debate

kosta_b

G'Day all fellow fishraiders.

Would like to get everyone's opinion on having a good drifting rig setup. When I go out fishing with a mate of mine on his boat, we likes to drift for Flathead mainly, about 10 minutes into the drift (sometimes before the baits even go in the water) the same old argument (banter) seems to break out. :04::08:

You see I have a couple of rods which are setup with a running sinker down to a swivel, then a trace of around 45cm to the hook. I usually run a size 5 ball sinker and it bounces along the sand as we drift.

My mate prefers to fish unweighted baits while drifting. Our success rates have been about equal but he is adamant that the sinker bouncing along the bottom can scare some fish off, where I argue the little puffs of sand made by the sinker as it slowly bounces off the bottom only brings in inquisitive fish towards your bait. So my argument is that fishing unweighted baits while drifting will not get you down deep enough, not to say Flathead wont rise to take a bait drifting in mid water but sometimes its like I am :1wallbash:

So I was curious as to what your opinions when it comes to using different methods or rigs..??? Is there a "best" setup we both should be switching to??? or are we both on the right or wrong track? Like I said neither of us have had any problems catching them so I have never had the need to really question (well not much anyway) either of our setups...But I would love to have some opinions to at least serve him a nice cup of STFU! :wine::074:

Im with u I think the puffs of sand do attract in fish and i do not know anyone who drifts unweighted...Shouldnt he drift unweighted baits when anchored and not moving otherwise the bait would be on the surface

Guest rzep

Im with u I think the puffs of sand do attract in fish and i do not know anyone who drifts unweighted...Shouldnt he drift unweighted baits when anchored and not moving otherwise the bait would be on the surface

I agree 100% :biggrin2:

usually with slow drift he gets the baits down because he uses a big slab of bait or a whole pilchard which eventually sinks down to the bottom... if the current is running a little fast he does weight it down with a couple of split shots.

Now I understand to fish as light as possible but this is the part we debate and he thinks the sinker I use it too big and I beg to differ...

There has been times where I have drifted using a size 7,8 or even 9 ball sinker and still have come up trumps....

Is there a preference on size of sinker I should be using?? Im comfortable using a size 5,6 or 7 and have caught fish on all of them.

Edited by King-Kosta

When difting in the estuary i use a size 00 or 1 ball sinker while difting, I always like to have around 80cm trace of either 4lb fluro ( clear, shallows ) or 8lb fluro ( deep, or little dirty water )

I always seem to do when with this rig, I run no sinker while anchored

i use padanoster rig for flattie drifting and depending on currant,wind i up the weight of the sinker so sinker is holding bottom and yes it wakes those fatties up when sinker stirs up sand try it with whitebait and your catch rate will increase and if i cant get a drift we bounce plastics off the bottom.hope that helps.

K-K, we're talking my kind of fishing.I always run 3 rods, 1x paternoster, 1x running ball with 60cm leader & 1x running ball onto hook. All 3 rigs catch equal numbers of flattys/ trevs etc and the odd kingy, but the ball to sinker rig tends to get the pinkies & bream for me.

to each his own - probably doesn't matter how you play the game - as long as you win.

cheers, Tuffy( AKA the Lazy Fisherman)

it depends on what species you are drifting for, if for example you are drifting for species like flathead and gunard, use a sinker as they actually like the sinker stirring up the sand (gets their attention). but if you are drifting for fish like snapper (especially slowly), use an unweighted bait with plenty of bereley

many interesting methods and opinions and I am glad to say ive tried most if not all of them.... all have weilded success in one shape or form so in the end I will stick to what works best for me... and my mate can shut up.... if only he knew how to use a PC... ah well this will be printed out and put in his mailbox....

:biggrin2: