Sold My Tinny...on The Look Out For A New One

Narralakes

Sold my tinny and looking for something a touch bigger for the estuaries and harbour. On a tight budget as well. Just looking at a few options. Anyone know of the Ally Craft Shadow Visions? I was looking at the 3.95, it is a type of v-nose. Looks nice with full floor, casting deck and a 25 hp Johnson. Any comments appreciated.

thanks

Narra

Sold my tinny and looking for something a touch bigger for the estuaries and harbour.  On a tight budget as well.  Just looking at a few options.  Anyone know of the Ally Craft Shadow Visions?  I was looking at the 3.95, it is a type of v-nose.  Looks nice with full floor, casting deck and a 25 hp Johnson.  Any comments appreciated.

thanks 

Narra

43784[/snapback]

Mines an ally craft 3.75 and could be bigger--- bought it as a straight tinny and put the floors in myself, easy enough to do over a few :beersmile: great little boat but when i took it to a boat place to get some welding done for the casting decks the guy there told me that they are pron to crack up the front underneath middle section -- don't know if it true but he said he gets a few in, anyway good luck in finding one, my boats posted under jaso's in my boat,

cheers Evan,

G’day Narra

If you are on a budget I would put polycraft on your must see list. Between the sponsors ABA and Yabbie (whichever is closest or cheapest) you will find yourself well looked after and may even be able to get something a little bigger like 4.1m with larger tiller donk. They actually look very neat especially if u choose a good colour and ride extremely well.

Re your question about Alley Craft I wouldn’t bother with the smaller flat bottom boats if u r looking at new boats, they are not flash in any way and don’t ride anywhere near as good or as stable as a poly. How do I know, after a few test runs in the larger 4.65m model (as they had no 4.1m in stock) I actually ordered a 4.1m shadow mirage when trading in my allison. 3 months later when the boat came I went to pick it up and there was no side console, I asked what happened to the console I ordered as an option and they told me that although Alley craft accepted the order they ended up not being able to fit the optional side console therefore they just sent the standard model and would refund the console price. I obviously threatened legal action and luckily they hadn’t sold my allison so I took it back and left. When I had look another look at them last time I went there to pick up a sarca anchor I noticed how chunky the welds looked compared to my hornet, how narrow the beam was and when checking under the floors there wasn’t even any moulding to hold batteries/clothes/storage etc. I was very happy they didn’t fit the console and that I had purchased the hornet instead. This wasn’t the case so much with the larger 4.65m flat bottom Alley that I test drove but they are much more pricey. Still don’t just take my opinion, go and check them out yourself but definitely compare their finished price with a poly cause I reckon u will get a much better boat for the same $$.

Thanks RickT and Evan,

I will give ABA and Yabbie a call, but I suspect they are out of my price range. As for the finishes, I'll take note of that too. I like the Hornets but they seem to be a couple of grand more expensive than a similar sized/fitted Allycraft, but as you say, I'll have to be careful and look at them in detail. What size Hornet have you got Rick?

Evan,

I saw your boat and Jaso's as well, that might be an option for me to buy a basic tinny and fit it out myself, is it hard to do? You guys did a great job? I might PM you later for ideas as well,

cheers

Narra

I have a 435 with side console. Maybe second hand could be an option. Talk to Pukka, he purchased a 435 tiller steer hornet second hand and may be able to give you some hints on where to look etc. as I mentioned there is no moulding at all in the Alleys so anything u put under the deck hatches is getting wet and the finish on the smaller boats is in my opinion rough. They are a few grand cheaper which is why I looked at them but REALLY happy I didn't end up with one. Don't sacrifice a few K for something u wont be happy with later, just do what I did, put the few $K to a better boat then buy the electric a few months later. Remember if u buy new to have the electric mount as an option. If u would like to have a look at it let me know, I know u fish nepean a bit and my place is 5 mins away from there.

Thanks Evan and Rick,

all the info so far has been very helpful. I spoke to Wakd just then from Yabbie, he was very helpful and informative, we chin wagged for ages, wish I had a few more dollars to spend. In regards to Pukka, Ive seen his boat and its a nice Hornet. I think I am heading that way as a new boat for what I want is a bit over my budget, but I could get swayed the other way if something else comes along. Will let you guys know once something has been found.

cheers

Guest bluecod

Ken,

If what you want is just out of your budget - don't compromise - wait a bit until you've got the extra or as Rick T said - put the extra bits in a little later.

OK, I'm getting closer now. Just spent half a day up at the Central Coast at 2 dealers. Two options that look good and are in my budget.

1. Quintrex Widebody Hornet 400 unpainted, with a 30 Merc elec start, bilge pump, nav lights, trailer, safety gear, handrails (as this model dosnt come with them) front and back, rego for $8000

This only has a part floor and front casting deck (part only really as it comes off the front bench)

2. Stacer SF 400 Bass. Painterd Evo Hull/v bottom - anyone seen them, supposed to be very good. With 30 hp Johnson, safety gear trailer rego for $7999.

Get more with the Quintrex, size and hull are very similar,except the Stacer has the new "EVO Hull" which is apparently the new version of the Millenium. If you take out the paint job for the Stacer and extras of the Quintrex, pretty much same deal.

BTW, there is a 6 week wait for the Quintrex, Stacer is about 1 - 2 weeks.

Would appreciate your thoughts again.

cheers

Narra