Grouper

brettmann86

Hey Raiders,

just curious guys i wouldnt mind having a crack at some of those grouper that are around bluefish headland as posted in todays daily telegraph.. anything in particualr you have to do to catch them?? not even too keen on keeping one just want a snap for the album

Fisrt get some big gear.

My groper outfit is a 9144 Schnider with a large alvey reel and minimum 24kg line. No leaders just a small ball sinker and a good strong hook. I use mustard 542s size 6.

Berly with crab or broken sea urchins. Find some red crabs for bait. Throw one in and hang on.

They are good to fish for on calm day when there is little or no swell. This allows you to get closer to the waters edge. The low tide also makes collecting bait easier.

Like Kingpin has mentioned HANG ON

Get a copy of Alex Bellissimo's DVD on Sydney rockfishing - he gets a 13kg groper. In it he also shows you how to bait up and what gear he uses. It is a great dvd

gav

The above advise is spot on and especially on using an alvery reel spooled with 24kg line. Egg beater reels still give drag under extreme pressure unlike the alvery and with groper on the hook up you canrt give them an inch of line otherwise your done for.

I use a pantornosta rig with a swivel and a break away sinker on a light line about 6 inches under my hook as the terrain u fish in is rough as guts normally cus snapping 24kg+ line in a snag is a major pain.

Crabs or cungie is good bait

Heya Raiders thanks to the top advice from you guys i ducked out for an early morning fish before work this morning and well whadya know following your advice to the letter i managed a nice 6kg grouper... only thing i didnt have was the alvey reel so i subbed that for my boat reel fixed up with 100lb line and well wasnt i in for a surprise fight didnt last overly wrong but tell ya what my poor rod knew what was happening!!!!!!

thanks again for all the advice guys.. this site really is worth the price of admission the little tid bits of info are gold!!!! thanks again to everyone!! oh and again only took a couple of quick snaps and let the big fella go..