Radio Gaga

Dhutchy

G'day Raiders, do ya ever have a day when everything that is supposed to work doesn't.

Yesterday, I had boat radio, home office computer, wife's computer, slow cooker, and Omega Watch plus I even broke the garden rake. :1badmood:

So anyway, the boat radio. I am hoping raiders who are smarter than I will be able to set me right.

Old Radio 6 years plus not transmitting, under any conditions and in plain site of the Cottage Point Coast Guard operation.

Bought GME 300, 27meg replacement. Installed. All seems to be working, if receiving a very odd religious sermon on Ch 14 is working. This unit is also CB unit. Test for transission and recieve from 4WD CB in driveway. No Joy. Nothing. :1badmood:

I am guessing the fault lies in the plug that fits between radio and antenna cable...What do you guys reckon.

Regards

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

so the unit in the boat is a 27mhz marine radio and whats the unit in the 4WD

UHF or am CB will not work on the same bandwidth as the 27mhz or VHF marine radios

Gummybuster, that's right but the GME 300, doubles as a CB, at least that is what the manual says. "The GX300 is capable of operating on both the Australian 27mhz Marine Band and the Australian 27mhz Citizens Band....To Sledcte the 27mhz CB band, the the radio off then press and hold the 88/PRI key while turning the radio on again. The radio will now display channels 1-40 and default to road CH8."

Gummybuster, I keep thinking the probelm must be antenna based...

Rgds

Dhutchy

Gummybuster, that's right but the GME 300, doubles as a CB, at least that is what the manual says. "The GX300 is capable of operating on both the Australian 27mhz Marine Band and the Australian 27mhz Citizens Band....To Sledcte the 27mhz CB band, the the radio off then press and hold the 88/PRI key while turning the radio on again. The radio will now display channels 1-40 and default to road CH8."

Gummybuster, I keep thinking the probelm must be antenna based...

Rgds

Dhutchy

Reading the manual's fine print, :wacko: I notice that it says the Antenna for Marine, won't work well for CB. So I guess that might translate to not at all...and test the unit next time I am on the water...

Thanks

Dhutchy

David you might like to run this one past Geoff... did the GME radio come with it's own arial did it mate or did you add a multi purpose arial that is meant to suit the band width? ..if so I'd be guessing that, having picked up other programmes, the problem might be a compatiabilty problem with the new GME300 technology perhaps and the particular arial...

Cheers

Byron

David you might like to run this one past Geoff... did the GME radio come with it's own arial did it mate or did you add a multi purpose arial that is meant to suit the band width? ..if so I'd be guessing that, having picked up other programmes, the problem might be a compatiabilty problem with the new GME300 technology perhaps and the particular arial...

Cheers

Byron

G'Day Byron, good to hear from you. I have just passed this note onto the venerable Mr Geoff. I will certainly be interested in his view. The GME did not come with its own aerial. I am using the relatively new one I already had - but I reckon it must be a contender for being faulty - which probably means the old unit wasn't faulty it was the antenna. I know, think Zen, breath, think Zen and breath.

Regards mate

David

Hi ya Raiders, I um solved the mystery of the GME GX 300 Marine/CB radio not working. After a few telephone calls, and a visit to GME offices in Ryde, and much patience from GME Tecchies, it was revealed that the problem was not the unit, but a Mug User (me).

After installing the unit I conducted driveway tests with my handheld and 4WD CBs attempting to communicate with the new flash radio. The new radio didn't transmit or receive to or from these units. Because both of the CBs are UHF RADIOS which work beneath the GME 300's 27mhz spectrum. I am probably the only knucklehead likely to make this mistake, but just in case there other radio novices, ensuring compatability between the radios your testing can save a lot of bother. :074:

The on water test should prove, as all other indications suggest, that the GME 300 is working fine.

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps