Saturday On The Harbour

sadamson

My wife Fiona said that she would like to go onto the harbour on Saturday and watch Jessica Watson sail in.I told her that would be great we will go early and do some fishing while waiting.I checked seabreeze and i knew it was going to be bumpy 2.5 metre swell 15 knot wind and a southerly blowing.But she wanted to go fishing how could i knock her back.

We did not hit the water untill 7.30early enough for her.We were in a little 4.5 metre boat and it was very choppy.We dropped anchor at Clifton Gardens and waited ,fishing was very slow but we ended up with 4 nice leatherjackets about 35cm each and a nice bream.By the time Jessica sailed in we were being bounced all over the place it was like being in a machining machine on spin cycle so we stayed to the side and watched the fleet go past we were to small to mix with the large boat in the fleet.We were glad we went and watched butt very happy to be off the water at the end of the day.The harbour looked great with boats of all sizes out welcoming Jessica home.

post-6862-127405914985_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127405929124_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127405931157_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127405933029_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127405925897_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127405920544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reggie the Rabbit

Hey Reg,

You know, we bend to the whims of our other halves quite regularly but usually with very little enthusiasm.

Why? Because it usually involves us doing chores, but in this case, taking her fishing would have had me acting like I had just drank 20 cups of coffee !

You guys obviously had a great day on the harbour and those fan-bellied leatherjackets are real good to eat and a very respectable size at that. Even that bream (not a morwong) is a decent size too, so well done to both of you.

Those fan-bellied jackets are not easy to catch - they are amongst the sneakiest fish in the harbour to catch. As kids, we used to go to rushcutters bay and around the yacht moorings there to catch those jackets. They were the measure of a good kid fisho. We used to compare how many we got. Ah, those were the days back in the early 70's when we were anklebiters and every waterway was teeming with fish...

Remember, don't let the cold of winter put you off. That spot in the harbour is home to good numbers of john dory in the winter - you'll just need some small live yellowtail fished on the bottom...

Enjoy the fish guys.

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Reggie

Top jackets there! :thumbup::thumbup:

I reackon their the best eating of all the jackets, damn nice.

And Keflapod is right they are dam sneaky buggers, I did the same thing myself as kid, except we chased em on Lake Mac.

Cheers

Trapper Tom