Help With . . . Fishing

swong

Your name: Simon

Your Location: Campsie

Availability: Mon-Wed during the day

Preferred location: Landbased on Georges River (along henry lawson dr if possible?)

Provide your own gear? Yes

Provide your own boat? N/A

I left out 'technique' as I would just like to learn about anything (quite literally) about fishing.

I go out regularly by myself on mondays and tuesdays to the Georges (East Hills area and sometimes Chipping Norton) using store bought bait and there's just a lot of basics i'd like to learn - so not just technique but i'd like to just be able to talk to an experienced angler.

Given that, im happy to not even go fishing at all. . .i can meet someone at a Maccas or something and i'd have a bunch of questions and would like to share about what i've been doing and get some pointers on what i could do to improve. . . or conversely if you'd prefer not to come out, you can let me know when/where you'll be and if the time works i can come and sit and chat with you (and dont have to cramp your space by fishing with you)

In terms of what i'd like to be as an angler: im not chasing after records or hitting the jackpot with a humungous fish. . .i enjoy catching bream/flatty/whiting and i'd like to know how to enjoy it more so to speak ;)

I have posted a few questions on the board but it's hard to get a 'flow' of discussion on a web forum - especially when i have so many questions.

Anyways here are some of the topics im hoping to discuss with someone or if possible, learn in person at a fishing spot:

- how to tell when to fish?

- how to tell where (not like 'in the Georges', but specifically what makes a good spot)

- how to tell where to cast

- how to 'read' the water and tides (e.g. how do i know where fish are likely to be given currents, shallows, structures etc)

- how to present bait on a hook

- how to know what hooks to use and what lines

- how to burley

- how to trap poddy mullet and hook it up (or just catching live bait in general).

- how to fish using bread as bait

- as a bonus im interested to know about SP/BH lures but i know i need some basic lessons first!

Thanks - appreciate any help with this at all ;)

You should send message or call Scotty lyons mate, He is a site sponsor on fishraider and runs a fishing charter boat that fishers botany bay and georges river.

He also runs lessons of a night that teach you all you need to know about fishing sydney waters.

If you are very new to fishing mate i would highly recommend it.

I think he even has a package deal at the moment exclusively to people from this web site.

Regards, Mick

Simon,

You have asked allot of questions stuff that I am still improving on but I can share some info with you that should get you started...

Unfortunately I am currently overseas so unable to meet but ill give you some pointers.

How to tell when to fish? Generally speaking this depends on what you are fishing for also depends on what's comfortable for yourself i.e wind temperature etc. most fishos don't get out too much in the colder months due to the water being cold and the bite not running hot... there are fish still around but they really need to be enticed into biting try different tide's find out what suits you better generally speaking any tide change will get you a fish if you are in the right place also a little bit of experimenting goes a long way as some particular spots will fish better on high tide's and some will fish better on low tides.

Bait presentation is important there are some good tips within this site and many others on the internet this also depends on what fish you are after...

about a good spot well basically take a look around the place try to find structure weeds stuff like that and if in doubt you can always chuck a bit of bread in the water see what happens.

the fact that you are already catching bream and flatties goes to show that you have figured that part out already as both these fish are found in different environments.

Hooks lines etc are personal preference I go with light lines for bream and flatties usually no more than 8lb and always use a leader line from the main line to the hook preferably flouro carbon.

15-30lb for the larger fish.

Whatever you do If you decide to try rock fishing which most people do to try get the bigger species make sure you do it safely there is heaps of information within this site and the internet itself in regards to rock fishing safety.

Trapping Poddies...

I am still trying to master the art but I am getting there some times I do ok other times not so good so ill share what I know and the rest is Luck.

you can buy traps or make them using a 3ltr milk carton by cutting a hole on the left or right side whichever side will be facing upwards I just bought a trap not very expensive and they work well in the right conditions.

The trap I use is a clear telescopic type.

I mush up about 2 slices or plain bread in the water so it very fine I then put it in the trap using about 1 or 2 cups of sand mixed with the bread and sink it down make sure its fully opened and leave it for about 10-15 mins generally don't put it too deep start at about 1 meter and if they don't go in work your way back to the shore usually a low tide works better for me.

Enjoy your quest sounds just like the way I was about 12 months ago hahahahaha

It is also very rewarding once you catch something decent i.e Kings/Jew I remember when I caught my 1st Aussie Salmon about 8 months ago I felt on top of the world and have been addicted to fishing ever since!!

There is a heap of your question's that I have not answered but

Feel free to P.M me if you need any more information on anything

Regards,

Nathan

You should send message or call Scotty lyons mate, He is a site sponsor on fishraider and runs a fishing charter boat that fishers botany bay and georges river.

He also runs lessons of a night that teach you all you need to know about fishing sydney waters.

If you are very new to fishing mate i would highly recommend it.

I think he even has a package deal at the moment exclusively to people from this web site.

Regards, Mick

Thanks Mick. . .yeah i see his posts every now and then and im always tempted to have a go. . .unfortunately (as with all things) i had to weigh up the costs of time/money/etc and decided i cant really commit to it atm :/ Having said that, i do hear many good things about it and if/when i can do it ill definitely contact him :)

Sorry, i should clarify my post. . im not hoping for a magic-silver-bullet of an angler to be a one-stop shop for all my questions. . .im happy (and this is my preference actually) to learn all these things over time. . .so even if someone said the only thing they can do is help catch live bait. .then that would be awesome too ;) Or if someone said they're going to fish for bream on bread and am happy for me to tag along . .then that's perfect too ;)

Basically, if anyone's willing to teach. . im definitely willing to learn.

Thanks Mick. . .yeah i see his posts every now and then and im always tempted to have a go. . .unfortunately (as with all things) i had to weigh up the costs of time/money/etc and decided i cant really commit to it atm :/ Having said that, i do hear many good things about it and if/when i can do it ill definitely contact him :)

Sorry, i should clarify my post. . im not hoping for a magic-silver-bullet of an angler to be a one-stop shop for all my questions. . .im happy (and this is my preference actually) to learn all these things over time. . .so even if someone said the only thing they can do is help catch live bait. .then that would be awesome too ;) Or if someone said they're going to fish for bream on bread and am happy for me to tag along . .then that's perfect too ;)

Basically, if anyone's willing to teach. . im definitely willing to learn.

No worrys mate was only giving you an option.

Im sure there is plenty of people on this site who would love to catch up for a fish with you and show you the ropes.

:beersmile:

gday mate I get monday and tuesdays off work and my girlfriend lives just around the corner from you in ashfield and I am usually at her house on those days,so I will line something up real soon - I just have a couple of other commitments with other people first.

pete.

Hey Spoz,

Mate get in with Pete (Tide and Knots)if the offer is there as you wont regret it. I have fished with Pete and the first time at one of his spots i got a jew first bait in the water. I cast out where he advised, set the rod in holder, turned around ,lit up a ciggie and before i finished it i was on to a jew. How good id that :thumbup:

Cheers

Mike

gday mate I get monday and tuesdays off work and my girlfriend lives just around the corner from you in ashfield and I am usually at her house on those days,so I will line something up real soon - I just have a couple of other commitments with other people first.

pete.

wow, that's awesome! Thanks Pete (and Mike for your rec :) ). . it's ok . . not in any hurry at all as i have some things to kill off as well. . but look forward to benefiting from your wisdom ;)

cheers

Simon