Kingy Gear

fishbog

How does this sound for a kingy set up?

Don't realy want alternatives suggested just comments about this deal.

OKUMA TITUS TG 30 (second hand)

spooled with 36keg Braid

SHIMANO BACKBONE 24keg Rod (new)

$360 for the lot

Thanks in advance

Fishbog

I think you could do better, particularly considering the reel is second hand. I've not used one but heard very mixed reports on the okuma overheads.

You can get the 24 kg backbone with a Shimano TLD 25 (much better reel in my view) for $308 online (in oz). No doubt you could do better with a bit of shopping around... If you do decide on an overhead with a roller tip backbone I'd be very cautious of using braid due to its propensity to catch in the roller.

If your fishing for kings (and not gamefishing with it) I think you would be better off to get yourself a spinning outfit. I started with overheads also but prefer the spinning ones most times these days for kings. Have a look at the penn spinfisher combos, in the 950 or 850 size. Cheaps as chips these days, rods are a little on the heavy side but are tough will pull the heads of most kings. Your looking say $169 with a spinning reel or $209 with a jigging reel (i'd go for the jig). Keep and eye out for a spheros reel also - these are a solid spinning reel capable of pulling reasonable drag.

Edited by Dezmo

where will you be fishing for kings

that outfit is a little over kill for kings you will just be skull dragging them in

if you plan on sticking with a overhead i too would go with the a tld

they have a better track record then the okumas with there overheads

if you after a good kingie spin setup have a look in Swap & Sell

cheers

Edited by Blood Knot