Looking For A Giant

brettmann86

ok Raiders,

This is going to sound nuts cause most you guys catch these things daily and throw em back as "rubbish" well what i wanna do is i want to hook AND LAND a ray of giant proportions, something truly brag worthy! i'm land based so keep that in mind.. why you ask?? well it's a goal i've hooked and landed ones up to 60kg but i want huge! any of you guys seen big ones around or know where the mammoths hide? i got the gear i got the tackle i have a general idea but i'm asking as most of you guys have seen em and avoided em i don't want to kill it or cut its tail off i just want a photo with it for my brag board so come on guys tell me where the monsters are.....

If you wanna go to Terrigal there is a Manta Ray that lives there (or used to...)

Dunno if its already been captured though... somehow I recall in the local paper it was a resident and was taken causing an uproar locally... I hooked it once on 15lb and I lasted 15mins before it just took a casual dive and snapped me clean- I was fishing for Flatties off "the haven".

I read somewhere there was a record shovel nose ray caught in Botany somewhere a month or 2 ago- they are out there you should use good berley and frames they will come (along with the Sharks).

Good luck mate

Anthony

:)

hey mate

theres 2 massive rays that hang around blackhead down south at the peak on the right hand

i always see them right in front of the ledge everytime i burley up they come out and go back under the rocks

hey mate

theres 2 massive rays that hang around blackhead down south at the peak on the right hand

i always see them right in front of the ledge everytime i burley up they come out and go back under the rocks

I 2nd that. Ive seen it on various occasions fishing down there. It is totally massive. Im not sure how you would catch it without getting snagged though.

Hey Brettman

Be careful here!

Almost all coastal communities have their local resident billard table sized stingray.

They are a local tourist attraction and much loved by the locals.

Also these things are years and years old.

If you do hook one then:-

1. There is the stress of a prolonged fight that could lead to the creatures death from exhaustion.

2. If you fail to catch then, its free with god knows how many metres of string still capable of entangling it. Potential death.

3. If you do land it then in all seriousness, one does not go near a leathal creature of that size, and the line would be cut leaving terminal tackle still embeded in the fish.

4. The locals will hang you.

In the end these large stingrays are the seas "hoovers" and will eat any scrapes offered.

They are not a fishing challenge as any man or his dog or 6 years old kid could hook these tame and pleasent creatures if they wanted to. ( PS do not go in the water with them they are really dangerous)

Brag Mat rights on this equals 0 out of 10.

Brettman, I am not a do gooder or tree hugger but you must respect the life of any creature that is that old and adapted and developed a close contact with humans and to trust in humans.

Go catch yellowfin and get your arms stretched by putting in the hours of work and earning the right to do so.

I usually say Cheers,

but I will say this time, not so "Cheery"

Trapper Tom

Hey Brettman

Be careful here!

Almost all coastal communities have their local resident billard table sized stingray.

They are a local tourist attraction and much loved by the locals.

Also these things are years and years old.

If you do hook one then:-

1. There is the stress of a prolonged fight that could lead to the creatures death from exhaustion.

2. If you fail to catch then, its free with god knows how many metres of string still capable of entangling it. Potential death.

3. If you do land it then in all seriousness, one does not go near a leathal creature of that size, and the line would be cut leaving terminal tackle still embeded in the fish.

4. The locals will hang you.

In the end these large stingrays are the seas "hoovers" and will eat any scrapes offered.

They are not a fishing challenge as any man or his dog or 6 years old kid could hook these tame and pleasent creatures if they wanted to. ( PS do not go in the water with them they are really dangerous)

Brag Mat rights on this equals 0 out of 10.

Brettman, I am not a do gooder or tree hugger but you must respect the life of any creature that is that old and adapted and developed a close contact with humans and to trust in humans.

Go catch yellowfin and get your arms stretched by putting in the hours of work and earning the right to do so.

I usually say Cheers,

but I will say this time, not so "Cheery"

Trapper Tom

well said trapper tom. besides theres plenty of other fish in the sea.