Epirb

luvbigfish

hi raiders , heading down south in a couple of weeks (weather permitting) putting the boat in at ulladulla habour and want to travel further south and head towards crampton island , about 6-8 nautical miles,i have no epirb , might sound dumb but am i allowed by law to travel this if i stay within 2 kms off the mainland? cheers paul

hi raiders , heading down south in a couple of weeks (weather permitting) putting the boat in at ulladulla habour and want to travel further south and head towards crampton island , about 6-8 nautical miles,i have no epirb , might sound dumb but am i allowed by law to travel this if i stay within 2 kms off the mainland? cheers paul

Paul Suggest you ring or E Mail Maritime. The rule states 2 mile offshore but I have heard of people being being booked when they are more than 2 nm north or south of the heads but less than 2nm actually off the coast.

Geoff

The two kilometre rule is certainly confusing, anyone who goes outside and drifts around a bit would find it pretty difficult to judge a distance of two kilometres from the closest shoreline and the view of the shoreline certainly does not come with three dimensional accuracy when you're out there that's for sure... anything beyond their pre determined points near the headlands also would require full safety equipment which is quite understandable and by the same token it would be a good idea to carry full safety equipment even in the estuarys but the outside the two kilometer rule would also require a radio licence if you happen to own a VHF radio as well... For such important issues, the interpretation and ideal policing of the actual regulations is nothing short of a complete borlz-zup if you ask me :1prop:..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer