Pittwater

yakka

Hi Fishraiders..

Went out in Pittwater last weekend in search of those big winter kings... Went to our usual spot with two live cuttles and three bags of pillies for burley... We dropped the cuttles down to only get pilaged by pickkers... We then started burleying raised the yakkas as well as a few other species.. All in all we got no kings but landed some nice bream, trevalley, and aussie salmon (biggest going 65cm)... Was not the best weather but was abit of fun... Heading out agiain tomorrow hopefull to get some of those kingies...

Cheers SquidKing Oner

post-12906-127511478701_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate. I went out on Pittwater last Tuesday and got hooked up on my first kingy ever but I was using 20lb line with 50lb leader and 4/0 gang hooks. It made a couple of nice jumps out of the water before diving straight down and snapping the line like it was cotton. Looked like it would have been over 3ft. Happy to have hooked my first and at least layed eyes on it. Can't wait to get out there again sometime soon.

Nice work mate. I went out on Pittwater last Tuesday and got hooked up on my first kingy ever but I was using 20lb line with 50lb leader and 4/0 gang hooks. It made a couple of nice jumps out of the water before diving straight down and snapping the line like it was cotton. Looked like it would have been over 3ft. Happy to have hooked my first and at least layed eyes on it. Can't wait to get out there again sometime soon.

steve sounds like u hooked a salmon if it jumped never heard of kings jumping out of the water,

Nice work on hooking that kingy/ salmon wat ever it was atleast it gave you a gd fight... Now u know what to expect when fishing pitty nxt time... Hopefully next time you land it... Would like to hear how you go nxt time you head out...

Oi YG are u gonna come tomorrow morning?

Thanks for the info mc fishn.

Whatever it was I was pretty stoked and it has g'd me up to rig up heavy next time.

I have been thinking 50lb - 80lb braid from all the information I have gathered.

What do you guys use when chasing some of the bigger fish in pittwater?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info mc fishn.

Whatever it was I was pretty stoked and it has g'd me up to rig up heavy next time.

I have been thinking 50lb - 80lb braid from all the information I have gathered.

What do you guys use when chasing some of the bigger fish in pittwater?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

i generally take out 2x rods when chasing kings one with 600m of 80lb braid with 150lb leader for bigger ones and fish with 50lb braid 80lb leader to start with, if u get bricked to many times on the light rod i just swap over to the heavy outfit it always pays to have a back up option when fishing for any species as u never know what will come around, some people will say its over kill but im sic of loosing line all the time cost a fortune!

i generally take out 2x rods when chasing kings one with 600m of 80lb braid with 150lb leader for bigger ones and fish with 50lb braid 80lb leader to start with, if u get bricked to many times on the light rod i just swap over to the heavy outfit it always pays to have a back up option when fishing for any species as u never know what will come around, some people will say its over kill but im sic of loosing line all the time cost a fortune!

Wish I had the problem of losing line. All I do is lose a lot of bait lol. I am with him. Heavy is good as if they are on they will smash your livie no matter what and it's better to land one than lose 6. Cheers.

Thanks for the tips guys.

What reels are you guys using with the heavy braid?

I currently have a baitrunner 4500B but not sure about running 80lb braid on this reel.

SquidKing, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Please tell me if I should be starting my own.

be careful with your use of burley and pillys around the spot your fishing in that photo

sure some times it can help to attract the kings to your boat but most of the time its just going to attract the jackets and rubbish fish

Steveo76 the reel will be fine you just wont fit too much on there

what rod do you plan on using it with

Edited by Framedtrash

Steveo76 the reel will be fine you just wont fit too much on there

what rod do you plan on using it with

At the moment for boat fishing I only have a Shimano Aqua Tip 7' Snapper 6-10KG.

I guess I will be in the market for something a bit better. To be honest I have not really investigated rod options much yet. Been trying to work out what I will be doing for a reel first.

I do use my 4500B for beach fishing so I am contemplating another one of these or maybe a 6500B or something completely different if it is more appropriate.

Yer I realised that on Sunday arvo... I went out for a couple of hours began burleying hard to start and started drifting bates down in the stream to get bitten off several times by chopper tailor... Bit annoying but one of my mates that was out on the saturdy said he continously burleyed until the yakkas rose and then bang the kingies appeared and where big... He got busted off on 30 pound a couple of times and got spooled on a handline and tiddler rod... It's a hard decision I recon with celephod baits don't burley but with yakkas and slimies down go hard... Wat do u recon framedtrash

oh and dw steveo sweet as keep on using this thread ur questions are giving me tips ahaha...

running 80lb braid on a 10kg stick is pointless

u want your line to snap before you rod does

that reel only has around 7kg of drag

i would stick some 30lb on there

SquidKing Combo if using live squid i wouldn't be using any burley around the moorings or any of the wrecks as you will just get tailor and jackets eating your livies

if i try burley for kings i just cube pillys and throw one peice out every min or so dont go crazy as you will just bring on the rubbish fish and ruin the fishing for others who come to the spot

the kings in pitty move around alot so much of the time its just luck there are there when you are

Thanks framedtrash for that advice on burleying... I will definitley take it into account in my next outting... But I does now bring me to the question on what is the best way to locate and or attract the kings in Pittwater... of course I have tried burlying, making a ruccus when chucking the anchor down and making tapping noises on the side of the tinny but I have had varied luck on these tecniques... What do u think the go is with the Pittwater kings...

Cheers SquidKing Combo

Thanks for the tips guys.

What reels are you guys using with the heavy braid?

I currently have a baitrunner 4500B but not sure about running 80lb braid on this reel.

SquidKing, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Please tell me if I should be starting my own.

mate my 4500 went fine on the kings this season with 50lb spider line. being thinner diameter i was able to fit about 200m of line on and id just lock the drag. this is my light set up with a crystal blue tip rod, i have a finnor 9500 offshore 30kg drag pressure with 600m 80lb for heavy outfit for jigging and live baiting, with a 37kg diablo rod, u need to match your outfit no point stickn 80lb line a reel that only has 7kg drag good luck.