Hawksbury Friday Night

bergo

gday guys. Just a quick report on friday night. Got on the water around 5pm started a thick burley trail. By 6 i hadnt even had a bite. Usually i would of picked up a few choppers but nothing. At about 7 i felt something chewing on my bait and swimming off with it so i free spooled for a good 10secs to let him swallow it. I then flicked the bail over then struck. The fish ran like crazy taking a good 50m of line then i gained some back and this went on for a good 20mins. In my head i thought jew. About 10m away from the boat up comes a huge ray :( owell not my firsr decent jew ahaha. Then we stayed till about 1030 and caught nothing but eels and catfish. Hopefully next trip is more productive! Cheers bergo

gday guys. Just a quick report on friday night. Got on the water around 5pm started a thick burley trail. By 6 i hadnt even had a bite. Usually i would of picked up a few choppers but nothing. At about 7 i felt something chewing on my bait and swimming off with it so i free spooled for a good 10secs to let him swallow it. I then flicked the bail over then struck. The fish ran like crazy taking a good 50m of line then i gained some back and this went on for a good 20mins. In my head i thought jew. About 10m away from the boat up comes a huge ray :( owell not my firsr decent jew ahaha. Then we stayed till about 1030 and caught nothing but eels and catfish. Hopefully next trip is more productive! Cheers bergo

i fished out there friday morning and 3 trawlers were working broken bay pretty hard so maybe you now know why the bites didnt come :1badmood:

atleast you got to go out lol

Pete

Bad luck Bergo- the rivers seem to have too much fresh water in them ATM

I went out on Lane Cove Friday night and although we were busy with quite a few fish- all were undersized except for a monster 2m Eel I caught on 8lb- fought like a Jew for around 10mins before I saw colour and cut him off.

I'd say the Beaches and the mouth to Broken Bay should be producing the goods ATM as there is little or no action in the rivers- esp for Jewies

... Although I did hear from a mate Soapies to 75cm have been taken up the Hawkesbury in the last week on SP's but nothing big and they were right upstream.

Better luck next time mate

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

lol yeh im goin to stick it out and have another go this weekend hopesully the fresh has pushed all the bait out past flint and steel barrenjoey etc etc. I will certainly give it a crack this weekend! Are there eels and catties off lion island and barrenjoey at night? Cheers bergo

lol yeh im goin to stick it out and have another go this weekend hopesully the fresh has pushed all the bait out past flint and steel barrenjoey etc etc. I will certainly give it a crack this weekend! Are there eels and catties off lion island and barrenjoey at night? Cheers bergo

Hi Bergo If you're thinking about going out for an afternoon into the night session on the weekend I think you would avoid eels and catfish by fishing the run over the sand about 250 metres wide of Walker Point proper back towards Lion Island... The actual line up would be- line up the beginning of the last quarter of the southern tip of Lion Island with the point itself and then guesstimate 250 to 300 netres in distance away from Walker point itself..This area is a natural jewfish run in, in that is it is a run in tide proposition for the schools going into the main river on that side- particularly in a wind that'll still be coming from the south...

You'd have a high tide somewhere around 2-3pm in the afternoon and would probably see colour lines in the sun light as as you go into Patonga and also on the edge of the alcove next to Juno where the services wharf is once the tide has topped... you'll probably strike shovel nose sharks coming in over the sand which is a good sign and if jewfish were to come in with the new water it would be within the first two hours of the run in tide. If you don't strike the schools coming in over the sand there during the first couple of hours of the run in tide it would pay to move over to the opposite side i.e. the Flint & Steel side and anchor in behind the reef in the noticable gully in closer to the shore in between Flint & Steel reef and Little Pittwater and fish the rest of the run in tide till the boat starts to turn, fishing down reasonably deep under brown water would be the key, out from Walker Point would give you 30 odd feet and where the shore rocks in the Flint & Steel alcove meets the sand would give you a good 25 -30 foot of water ...if you start earlier to get the run out tide in the mid afternoon, you could fish closer in to the shore than the other Juno boats would normally be but anchor along the bend in the centre around 150 metres east of the Juno Point marker itself. Anyway that's what I'd be doing after all the rain we've had rather than fish away in general around Lion Island..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer