Second Hand Etec - Whats It Worth?

Dezmo

A mate of mine is looking at buying a 2005 90 hp ETEC with about 300 hours on it. The service history is pretty limited but it has one(as they go 3 years without needing a service…). What do you think this would be worth? Do you think this would be a reliable outboard or is it getting to an age/hours where it is more likely to start having (possibly expensive) problems?

Appreciate your wisdom and thoughts as always fishraiders!

Hi, as the saying goes it is worth what someone will pay for it. As for life we have I-3 E-TEC with 3000 hours on them in commercial use and last time one was in here the compression was rock solid. In recreational use, doing about 50 hours a year it will take most guys about 60 years to do this sort of hours so I doubt you will wear out this engine if you run good oil and use good fuel. An engine like this does not get to this age or hours and then fail due to a faulty part and that is why you see plenty of 30 year old plus Evinrude and Johnsons still running around. As with anything mechanical and especially these modern engines they should be flushed and looked after by the owner and ask for a history report that will then tell you not only hours but how the engine has been used and if any codes have come up.

Considering, at present, I am running a special on new E-TEC and a new 90HP with SST prop, 5 year warranty and installation is about $12,500 then you can see if what they want is worth it.

What do they want?

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the comments Huey and for the chat - thats just the info I wanted to know!

The outboard is actually attached to a boat which is sitting on a trailer, the purchase is for the whole package second hand. I was hoping to use the value of the outboard as a bit of a guide to work out how much was being paid for the hull and trailer to work out whether its a good deal or not (if that makes sense).