Typing This On My Little Asus Eee Pc!

arpie

Hi guys

I'm sitting here typing on my 'new' little EEE PC!! What a cute little computer it is too!! It was the bargain of the month - some of the keys weren't working, so they had it in a 2nd hand shop for just $50!! My buddy in Port posted it down to me for $10 ..... and $20 for a keyboard & all is SWEET!!

Now, with me being more used to Macs than PCs, I am sure that I will have a few bloops along the way ...... but will now be able to keep in contact when we travel, even if we DO have to go to Maccas for free wifi!!

Not being very 'up' on wireless technology - is there anything I should know? Any Tips to help me drive this thing? I downloaded the manual for it, so will read it in depth, sooner or later ....... must put a copy of it on this one (or better still, on the dongle hard drive thingo!)

Nice little toy!! I was hoping that my desktop mac would pick up the wireless signal from this beastie, but it didn't! Ne'er mind, when my current mac laptop dies, I will replace it with a new one & it will talk to the other one then!

Cheerio

ROberta

We have both macs and netbooks at home. . .both are definitely good and have their place ;)

My wife uses an MSI U100 - is there a specific model of EEEpc you have? It's not important to know. . but helpful nonetheless (esp if it has major problems)

Are you using Windows? or some other operating system?

If you have windows and you havent got an antivirus program, i'd recommend putting one on. . .I'd suggest AVG (it's free). . and make sure windows firewall is on and updates are regularly being updated.

Tho not essential, i'd stop using Internet Explorer and download Firefox and if you need a free wordprocessor, OpenOffice is impressive for something u dont have to pay for.

When you say your mac cant pick up the wireless signal from your EEEpc . . .are you trying a direct connection? Or both computers are trying to connect to each other via a hub or router?

G'day Spoz

Thanks for that info .....

Oh dear, that is all sounding very technical ...... that is why I love macs, turn 'em on & use 'em!! I shall however do my best ...... I am a little technically challenged! I rarely change any of my settings! Took me 10 years before I used one of my own pics as my background!! :wacko:

How do I make sure the windows Firewall is on?

It has firefox on it already & using windows XP (explorer isn't even on it)

Mine is the 701SD

I am pretty sure the AVG is on it too.

It has microsoft works on it, so have word processing, 'notebook' too.

.....When you say your mac cant pick up the wireless signal from your EEEpc . . .are you trying a direct connection? Or both computers are trying to connect to each other via a hub or router?.....

I have the Asus plugged into my landline broadband in the dining room & was hoping it would send out a signal to my Desktop Imac in the lounge. I tried it but it didn't pick up. I may need to change the settings on the IMac for it to pick up if the signal is available. My laptop Ibook isn't wireless & won't send a signal as it doesn't have an airport card in it. The Imac does have airport. I don't have a hub - just the speedtouch internet black box that came with my internet package.

Cheerio

Roberta

I found this link which should be of help...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

Because you're not using a hub/router you'll be wanting to set up an "Ad Hoc Network". . but dont worry about all the jargon. .there are plenty of pictures and instructions there :) I've done it a few years ago and it was pretty straight forward (granted computers was my industry so i know it's not everyones cup of tea)

So by the sounds of things you want the eeepc to be directly connected to the internet, and the other computers will access the net via the eeepc. . .

in that case you'll want to set up "Internet Connection Sharing" on the eeepc and it actually becomes the 'hub/router' of communication. .

Obviously if/when you get to the "How to set up additional computers" section in the instructions, you'll be using your mac to search for the network ;)

Anyways, lemme know if you're going to go ahead with it. . i can try and give you more help if needed!

Edited by spoz

Macs arent worth a cracker if you are in industrial engineering ( Electrical)

not supported by any programming software I have come across.

Great for a easy user interface for standard DTP aps though.

On those grounds dont have a lot to do with interfacing with Macs, sorry of little help also :(

Edited by Austwave

Networking with a windows machine is no easy or harder than with a mac. None of them will just work out of the box unless you have no security whatsover. Neither will either share a network connection with any other device without a bit of setup.

What you'll need from the windows side is to enable "Internet Connection Sharing". I haven't done this for quite a while, but google will lead you to the answer.

Going the 'other way' (ie Mac on the modem/PC to share) is similarly straightforward - there is an option in Mac software to share a network connection - but you'll have to find it and enable it - it is not on by default.

Many thanks guys!! I will re-read all this to make some more sense of it - and see what I can come up with!!

My Mac laptop is a bit old & doesn't have an airport card, so won't speak to my desktop one ..... & it isn't essential that the Asus speak with the Desktop Mac - Keith gets a bit frustrated when i am on the laptop & he wants to get on too!! One day, I'll have it all set up so they ALL work at the one time on the net!!

CHeerio & thanks again

Roberta

you can pickup wireless routers these days for around $70 and then get a usb network card thats supported by your mac

then u just need to plug the cable from your broadband into the back of the router then it will enable your new laptop to connect to the wireless and you can then stick the usb dongle into your desktop mac and it too will be able to connect to your wireless

a usb dongle that will work on a mac will cost around $70 one such usb card is the Netcomm NP745N

Edited by Framedtrash

Thanks guys - I'll play with it a bit at Maccas & other free wifi areas that I can find in Sydney when down there ...... will see how I go ..... not too worried about it not talking to the mac at this point - may do something about it later - I tend to use my normal laptop for most stuff when home.

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

The asus are good little net books. The whole net book concept is huge around the world. You may find That if you can get the keyboard off (not hard on lots of laptops) you may get it going as well.

Of course you can always add a 3G card and get Internet just about anywhere? Some pretty reasonable plans out there.