Fishing New Zealand Questions

Hey guys Me and a few mates are going to NZ for a ski trip early july and in the off time i think i might try wet a line also :)

We are staying 3 nights in christchurch and 5 at mt hutt and was goin to try out the local trout and maybe do some salt water fishing as well, maybe even a charter to chase some of the big reds out there :biggrin2:

Anyways i was just wondering what gear we are aloud to and not aloud to take as i have heard that you cant either bring used line or bring back used line and alot of other things too like you can not use open plastics ect ect.

We will be spinning not fly if that helps but if anyone has experience with doing this or even some places to try out would be a great help

Well thanks for any help in advance

Pete

Hey guys Me and a few mates are going to NZ for a ski trip early july and in the off time i think i might try wet a line also :)

We are staying 3 nights in christchurch and 5 at mt hutt and was goin to try out the local trout and maybe do some salt water fishing as well, maybe even a charter to chase some of the big reds out there :biggrin2:

Anyways i was just wondering what gear we are aloud to and not aloud to take as i have heard that you cant either bring used line or bring back used line and alot of other things too like you can not use open plastics ect ect.

We will be spinning not fly if that helps but if anyone has experience with doing this or even some places to try out would be a great help

Well thanks for any help in advance

Pete

ive only been saltwater fishing over there, but if australian customs here the words (freshwater fishing) your probebly in for some delays on the way back..

but you can bring back frozen snapper fillets if you wish, due to the saltwater. :1fishing1:

G'day Pete

Felt soled shoes are a NO NO (in NZ due to Didymo) also NOT returning them to AUssie (cos we don't want it either!) IF you get your shoes wet over there, they will have to be scrubbed & perhaps disinfected before returning to Australia due to the Didymo (also called snot weed.) Some people buy a cheap pair of walking boots & use them in the fresh water & then toss them before leaving NZ - makes it easier.

You WILL have to buy a fishing licence over there if fishing for trout (not for salt tho ..... last time I was there anyway!) When Freshwater fishing, check with the local tackle shops what you ARE allowed to toss. Most trout water, you can't use trebles, only singles (or 2 singles reversed.) Most areas, you can't spin within 300m of a river mouth particularly if it is entering a lake (only fly fish.) Some areas you CANNOT use bait for trout (some you can.) When you get your licence, they usually give you a fairly indepth bit of literature to read - some rivers are FLY ONLY & may have a limit of only 1 fish. Be very aware of where you are fishing. MAF often have hidden cameras that are motion detected in some of the more 'stressed' rivers.

You used to be able to bring vacuum packed smoked trout fillets back (if you catch a monster & want to bring it home.) Check first tho before arriving in Aussie with it!!

Don't leave fishing gear in your vehicle when you walk the rivers - local low-lives know that you will be away for some time & are very efficient at breaking in & removing your stuff very quickly.

Maybe PM Luderick-angler - he may have buddies he can ask (even tho he is in the north island.)

Cheerio & good luck! Take VERY WARM gear - it will be incredibly cold down there!!

Roberta

Hi ya Breambucket,

Theres been a lot of rain recently and the fishing has been limited you wil find a lot of the rivers closed now but plenty of opportunity in the lakes and the bigger rivers below the winter limits. the Kawerau in Queenstown is firing at he moment if you want any further info drop me a PM :1fishing1:

• 3 weeks later...

hey breambucket..

If your gonna be spinning for trout, it would pay to have a few Rapala CD3 & 5's and F3 & 5's in ranbow and brown trout patterns.. They're expensive but trust me theyre worth there weight in gold..

Ive used them the last few trips back home in a few nth island rivers, and they go off.

I grew up using older type spinners, favs being.. size 3 green, red and blue veltics, black N gold and black 7g tobys, dandys and zeds, and size 2 & 3 Mepps black fury's for brownies..

They were good, but they just dont compare to the hard bodies you can get these days. Soft plastics would be worth a try as well, although finding a river with relatively little current this time of year would be pretty hard, may work well in deeper, slower pools, or even lakes..

You will also have to fork out a fair bit of cash for a trout liscence, and check the regulations of your fishing region, many rivers will be closed this time of year due to spawning but there should be a few places worth checkin out..

As for snapper fishing off canterbury this time of year, id say your chances would be pretty slim bro.. water will be far too cold, maybe try for some blue Moki.. :)