Lion Island Flatties

Rick T

G'day fishraiders

Got out for a couple of hours this avo with the old fella down the road for a flattie drift. He has a nice 6m cruiser and had the family out earlier so I met him at the wharf at lunchtime. Headed to one of his gun spots which ended up being the eastern side of Lion Island and did a drift along the reef edge. I finally convinced him to use a fishing rod instead of a handline and we had a little competition. He used a paternoster rig with squid and pillies while I used a 1/2oz jig with 4" powerbait. We ended up getting 24 legal flatties in 3 hours most of which were returned. Bill caught more fish on bait (double hookups helped) but I caught the better size fish with one in the low 70's and 3 in the low 60's. A great avo on the water, good company, good weather, good feed and a few beers :beersmile:

post-114-1114332575_thumb.jpg

some nice looking flaittes there rick.. bet you had a nice feed to,, well done

Cheers Dave C  :thumbup:

44345[/snapback]

Nice fish, I am heading out there tomorrow, was out that way on Friday got a couple flathead and one bream.

Not near the size of those though, which side if heading toward lion island from Parsley bay is the eastern?...left or right?

Thanks,

Went out there today to try to get some flatties, there were only all undersize ones, got a couple flounder though, a kingfish swam right on by the boat, didn't want my prawns though. :thumbdown: , saw some guy catch a mac tuna on pilchards, I have get some heavier gear and float some yakkas around out there, see if I can pick anything up.

Also managed a few nice size bream over near flint and steel, dinner for tonight and tomorrow...mmmm

Thanks fellas

GM glad u found the eastern side :thumbup::1prop:

Good onya Ken, sounds like a great rig, they r a tough proven boat and am sure u will get alot of enjoyment. Not sure which electric u should get, I recommend trying to get to one of the socials and ask a few fellas for a go and make up your mind from there. They r very personal and I wouldn't buy one on anyones recommendations. As for sounders go with the 27 anyday cause of the big screen. It is basically the same sounder as my 37 but without the wider beam which I don't use a hell of alot anyway. If purchasing local the new humminbirds are being released so u may be able to get a good bargain. Wish u the best on your new rig and look forward to seeing u on the nepean :thumbup: