Monday On The Hacking

Krispy !

I had the day off thanks to the queen so i decided not to put it to waste. I Decided to have a crack at a winter kingy, so i caught about 8 small yakka's and lobbed one out. About 15 minutes later i felt a dead weight on the rod so i lifted the rod lightly and felt the pulsing action of a squid. I brought it to the surface and dropped it as i was lifting it in ( No net!!!!!! :ranting2: ) It wouldve been around 1kg. Threw the next livie in about 3m out and as soon as it dropped a metre below the surface a salmon scooted past and wacked it :1yikes: the reel was playing my favourite tune and 2 minutes later i lifted in a nice sambo at 54cms :thumbup: . For the next hour there was nothing and i left the rod in baitrunner with a slightly larger yakka on while I went for swim, Anyway as i was half way up the baths doing laps, (Geez i can be stupid sometimes!!) I heard the faint sound of a reel going off back on the wharf, i looked around and the rod was on the floor, but there was nothing taking any line, i swam back to check the rod and as i changed it from baitrunner there was a dead weight on the end of the line. I reeled it in anxiously and to my surprise it was a John Dory :1yikes::thumbup: . This was my 1st LB John Dory at 47cms and i was stoked :biggrin2: . After that i filleted some of the other yakkas and cast them out but to no avail. I'm going to have the John Dory tonight and i can't wait for it :yahoo: .

Cheers,

SL,

Edited by seriola lalandi

Really unexpected fish! congratulations on getting one... they seem so rare.

I really want to catch a dory myself, hardly read any reports or see anyone catch them. Everyone keeps saying they're like one of the best eating fishes, yet they're hardly targeted.

It might be time for me to head down there for a fish. The spot I always fish isn't producing much after all this rain and low temps.