No Fish But Had A Whale Of A Time.

Rich P

Took the new tub out for a spin yesterday arvo. Unreal machine for the size of her. No fish except a couple large bakers. But did see a whale and her calf.And the calf was curious too.Me not so much as its mother was right under me.i was looking on the sidescan. I wish i hit screen shot because the amount of detail was unbelievable. You could see the tail the fins very clearly.

Rich

post-83-127666891836_thumb.jpg

post-83-127666892742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rich P

Awesome experience and fantastic photo. They seem to be very inquisitive... had the same thing happen on the Gold Coast last season and it's more than a little scary to think about what they could do to a little boat with so much as a carelessly waved flipper!! :1yikes:

Cheers, Slinky

Get stuffed Greg rub it in why dont ya LOL

And to top it off Louise blooded the boat first.

Bily another mate was out there aswell.I do have a camera in my hands but they dont work when there is no battery in them DOH

Rich

It's an amazing experience to see these beautiful creatures in the flesh!

A mate and I saw some whales breaching while fishing off Seal Rocks and went to investigate - there was about three of them. I said to Wes that we should give them room, but Wesley's understanding of a safe distance was about 10 - 20 meters and not the 30 - 40 meters that was intending and it was his boat.

So we fanged it to about 15mtrs distance and cut the engine. We were in awe watching these whales flopping about and splashing the water with their fins and tail when I realised their was only two. Then the mother breached just in front of our small trailer boat in between us and her calf’s. She was huge - about 4mtrs wide and 6 mtrs from nose to the water line.

We could see the barnacles on her white ribbed belly and her big soft eyes looking at us until she slipped below the surface. That was the most awesome and scariest moment of my life. Wes and I looked at each other and said "Amazing" quickly followed by "lets get out of here!".

Nice pics!

Cheers,

Andrew