Whitsundays 4 Day Trip

wttmrwolf

I was up in the Whitsundays last week sailing with the family on a Seawind 1000 catamaran. Brought a ton of gear including 2 light rods and 2 trolling/jig rods.

I had high hopes for the week after hearing lots of talk about Spanish Mackerel and Wahoo. I topped up on lures at the local tackle shop in Airlie much to my wife's displeasure. More bloody gear ;)

The trip across to the islands was swift in a 35knot howling wind. Kids and wife huddled up in the cabin as our cat submarined through waves and rocked and rolled. I trolled for a total of 40 miles over 4 days for zip. The water was milk coloured because the wind stirred up all the sediment :ranting2:

I did have more success on bait at night (while at anchor). Lots of trevally, sweetlips and 1 hammerhead on frozen pilchards. Casting 5" gulps at sunset I had a couple of follows but couldn't get a hookup.

While it wasn't a huge fishing success the holiday was fantastic and I can't think of a holiday that compares. Spending 4 days on a 1/2 million dollar boat sailing around beautiful islands, watching sunsets and doing a spot of fishing is worth every penny. Do it!

Ben

Hey mate. sounds like you had a great trip even though the fishing wasn't as successful as you planned. Im heading up there in a few weeks. Still thinking of bringing my own gear but thats IF i decide to hire the dingy. I decided to go on one of the charters there. So hopefully should be FUN. Im just afraid of the weather at the moment. Its so cold here in Sydney and I don't know what its going to be like at Hamilton Island. Oh well everything is paid for so lets just cross out fingers and hope for the best.

Ben

I did the same sort of trip as you a couple of years ago. We were on a 40 foot catamaran and trolled all sorts of lures all over the place for zip. I had a bit more luck in the tender, trolling along the edges of the fringing reefs. Unfortunately the heaviest gear I had was about 20 lb breaking strain. I got blown away a couple of times but managed to get a few smaller trevally, queenies, one small Spanish mackerel and other reef dwellers. I couldn’t agree more with you about well worth the money. It’s a beautiful place. You’ve got me thinking I’ll have to start planning another trip up that way.

Rich

Hey Steze, definitely bring your own gear mate, I went there early this year and it was blast I hired a dinhgy and it was great fun didn’t get anything substantial but plenty of reef fish caught. One thing I do recommend is to hit the Ferry wharf next to the airport after dark, we go absolutely smoked and there was some great fish / Noahs caught. We saw 200lb groupers and 20kg GTs cruising around that area.

G`day Ben we are heading up there in September we have a boat out of Arlie for 7 nights its a power boat not a sailing boat i have started stocking up on gear hope we have a bit more luck.Cheers Stephen (Reggie the Rabbit)

Temperature wise this time of the year will be in the thirty`s. Absolutely beautiful . you wonder why you dont live up hear permanently.

The fishing in close is not good and the wind can really blow but plenty of places to escape. The motor cruiser IMO is the way to go.

I have done four trips to the area this time of the year and have found the wind a problem. They dont tell you about that bit. I am also

disappointed with the fishing with only small wahou and reef fish caught.

How ever it is a great place and thats why I have been there four times. I just love the weather.

Great fish and chips and the people are great.