Another Pb Smashed Last Night- 47Cm Bream

wannabefisho

hey mate,

AWESOME catch!!!!!

btw... sorry if its a noob question but just wondering where is LCR?

lane cove road? O_O hahah thats the only thing that pops up into my head!!!

anyways, nice catch there!

hey mate,

AWESOME catch!!!!!

btw... sorry if its a noob question but just wondering where is LCR?

lane cove road? O_O hahah thats the only thing that pops up into my head!!!

anyways, nice catch there!

You got the first part right, but its Lane Cove River...

A fair way from Lane Cove Road though, I fish near the mouth of the river mostly.

Thanks for the replies again everyone.

Much apprecaited

Anthony

:)

very nice bream that 1 well done :1fishing1:

did you know that bream are very slow growing & fish from 30 cm to 50 cm are arround 30 to 40 years old

keep the smaller 1s for a feed they are much sweeter & think about releasing the biggens i reckon they deserve there freedom surving this long & are good breeders

cheers thomo

G'day Anthony,

your story reminded me of a memory long since buried.

It gave me goosebumps as I recollected the imagery and feelings of these experiences.

About 20 years ago, when my brother and I were still single, we would take our tinny after dark in winter to the derelict pylon bases of some of the wharves around waverton, looking for bream and jewies. It was deadly quiet as we tied off to the aging timbers. Nothing moved, except the odd rat scurrying across the rocky shorelines. We could see the heavily oyster-encrusted timbers stretching through the inky depths to the seabed far below. Ghost stories were told as the timbers occasionally creaked when nudged by a gentle wave made by a distant boat. We threw in our baits and waited. Suddenly, rod tips would get slammed down to the water's surface in an instant - the drag would squeal and the tip would spring straight again - the snapped loose line wafting in the light chilly breeze. We would look at eachother in disbelief - and rerig the busted line while staring at the brilliant harbour lights. We would easily get 20 fish between the two of us and bust off as many. The fish were 30cm to 40cm, with the occasional bigger fish landed. By midnight we could no longer feel our fingers or nose so back to the ramp we go, knowing we won some battles but ultimately lost the war. Thanks for the amazing report and for digging up this long-forgotten memory of mine. Stonker bream Anthony, but there are some big blue-nose bream under there with 1/0's as body jewellery - good luck getting them out....

Tony

G'day Anthony,

your story reminded me of a memory long since buried.

It gave me goosebumps as I recollected the imagery and feelings of these experiences.

About 20 years ago, when my brother and I were still single, we would take our tinny after dark in winter to the derelict pylon bases of some of the wharves around waverton, looking for bream and jewies. It was deadly quiet as we tied off to the aging timbers. Nothing moved, except the odd rat scurrying across the rocky shorelines. We could see the heavily oyster-encrusted timbers stretching through the inky depths to the seabed far below. Ghost stories were told as the timbers occasionally creaked when nudged by a gentle wave made by a distant boat. We threw in our baits and waited. Suddenly, rod tips would get slammed down to the water's surface in an instant - the drag would squeal and the tip would spring straight again - the snapped loose line wafting in the light chilly breeze. We would look at eachother in disbelief - and rerig the busted line while staring at the brilliant harbour lights. We would easily get 20 fish between the two of us and bust off as many. The fish were 30cm to 40cm, with the occasional bigger fish landed. By midnight we could no longer feel our fingers or nose so back to the ramp we go, knowing we won some battles but ultimately lost the war. Thanks for the amazing report and for digging up this long-forgotten memory of mine. Stonker bream Anthony, but there are some big blue-nose bream under there with 1/0's as body jewellery - good luck getting them out....

Tony

Thanks Tony, Thats what I love about Winter fishing the most- is you have to be 100% there and focused, whether you get pinged often or not is immaterial.

Im glad to have rekindled some of those feelings from the past- and maybe some people who are yet to experience them can get what its like when it happens, the rush of adrenalin as you struggle to locate different items like torches, nets, tacklebags whatever while in mid-fight is something Im pretty new to, but when you HAVE to do it yourself its amazing what one can do on their own fuelled by the fight and a little bit of grog

Not that Im a guru but your story itself remind me of more when I was a kid fishin with my grandfather, he taught me to watch, listen and learn when it was needed.

Only refined it a bit for the rivers coz beaches well its more about looking for the gutter, rivers is about looking for the structure (like you said old wooden planks, oyster crusted wharves, sandy beaches with weed beds and steep dropoffs) then the listening and watching comes in...

The mullet jump and get spooked by the predators, they "bloop", "suck" and "splash" their tails, these are the signs I look for, and this is when concentration is at its peak, there is no turning back once they are in the zone and you have all best laid plans alligned.

Then the waiting while you stand next to the rod in holder, eagerly watciing for the "tap tap tap" on the tip, before it buckles and you lunge for all its worth and strike.

I really do believe Sydney Winters are a wonderland for anyone willing to get out and give it a crack.

From Kingies offshore and ooglies on the deep reefs, so Jewies and big Bream in the rivers and Taylor/Salmon on the beaches.

I hope tonight I can get Johnny and Nathan onto a few from the same area near my place- time wil tell and the weather will determine what we get and how we will ultimately fish the spot- sadly though wind doesnt make any easier as one cannot hear and see them in the area- they go for the cover meaning you have to be in tight and hold on.

Thanks again everyone, it was an honour to land such a beast... something I dont think will be repeated in a hurry, but whilever Im still able to hold a rod in my hands then there is a chance of anything happening.

Tight lines all

Anthony

:)

Very nice fish. I usually fish the bottom end of LCR with my son in kayaks. Biggest we've pulled out so far was 42cm, but your catch gives us hope for better things to come.

As soon as I can find a gas heater small enough to bolt onto the front of the yaks, we'll be out there again for an all-nighter :)