Hitting Botany Bay For The First Time,where To Fish?

clubwak

HI guys and Gals,

I am hitting the bay for the very first time this sat morning, usually a hawkesbury fisho but need a break.

So what I am asking is does anyone have some ideas on what for and where to fish,

I am aiming at putting in at the new Foreshore drive ramp at 6am.

not looking to drive to far to early(to bloody cold to motor in an open hull).

so all ideas welcome, I do have a gps/finder and the book "Hooked on paradise"

thanks I will post results.

wakka

Id be targeting Trevs and Bream at the drums and the container wall in the bay mate, both not very far from foreshore drive boat ramp.

Achor up at either postion burly with bread and pillies and float a bait down your burly trail with a 00 ball sinker, your've got a SW wind forcasted which will be pushing against the tide so it going to make bait fishing a little tuff. Should be salmon and tailor patroling the bay to mate so id troll some small deep diving lures in the same general areas.

Good luck anyhows

Mick :beersmile:

Id be targeting Trevs and Bream at the drums and the container wall in the bay mate, both not very far from foreshore drive boat ramp.

Achor up at either postion burly with bread and pillies and float a bait down your burly trail with a 00 ball sinker, your've got a SW wind forcasted which will be pushing against the tide so it going to make bait fishing a little tuff. Should be salmon and tailor patroling the bay to mate so id troll some small deep diving lures in the same general areas.

Good luck anyhows

Mick :beersmile:

thanks mick,

only prob is i dont actually know these places., if I come out of the ramp I am guessing I head left keeping the bank on my left, from there well its all as kleen as mud.

thanks again jason.clubwak

Hey Jason,

I don't often fish the container wall, but I believe the spot referred to is Molineux point.

When you exit the foreshore drive ramp, turn left and head towards the ocean headlands. You will pass Brotherson dock (where the ships unload their cargo). You then drive past the western end of the container wall. Continue driving towards the headlands until you reach the end of the wall. The wall is about 300m from western corner to eastern corner. This eastern corner is Molineux point. You'll get kingies, trevs, bream, flatties (on the sand), salmon and the odd jew. Just a bit of info regarding winter fishing - the bay is pretty shut down in most places so don't expect a big catch unless you really know your stuff. Only 2 of my 20 spots have any fish on them during winter. The water is also clearer and colder then, so the fish are more skittish if boat traffic starts to become an issue. As stated, burley is a must - fish two rods in the burley trail with light sinkers and a couple rods wider of the trail with heavier sinkers and bigger baits. If surface action hits the burley trail, you can swap one of the lighter sinkered rods for a lured rod and have a chuck...if you can feel the reel through the frozen fingers......

Good luck Jase...

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Jason,

I don't often fish the container wall, but I believe the spot referred to is Molineux point.

When you exit the foreshore drive ramp, turn left and head towards the ocean headlands. You will pass Brotherson dock (where the ships unload their cargo). You then drive past the western end of the container wall. Continue driving towards the headlands until you reach the end of the wall. The wall is about 300m from western corner to eastern corner. This eastern corner is Molineux point. You'll get kingies, trevs, bream, flatties (on the sand), salmon and the odd jew. Just a bit of info regarding winter fishing - the bay is pretty shut down in most places so don't expect a big catch unless you really know your stuff. Only 2 of my 20 spots have any fish on them during winter. The water is also clearer and colder then, so the fish are more skittish if boat traffic starts to become an issue. As stated, burley is a must - fish two rods in the burley trail with light sinkers and a couple rods wider of the trail with heavier sinkers and bigger baits. If surface action hits the burley trail, you can swap one of the lighter sinkered rods for a lured rod and have a chuck...if you can feel the reel through the frozen fingers......

Good luck Jase...

I went, i cruised in the rough water, I fished!

I motored out past the 3rd runway (thru the marked area), I motored up past molineux point to the eastern side, wasnt sure how far to go down the bay (as there was 3 other boats already anchored up,one being scott lyons), anchored up at the southern end (closest to the green markers) close ish to the wall (50 meters), a bank fishos dropped his bait just behind the boat, I took that and his arm waving as he wasnt happy to see me,moved back around to the western side of the point and parked up in front of the white tanks about 3/4 way along towards the heads. burlied up and had a ball with all the small pinkies, biggest went 32cm. everything went back in to live another day and I had a ball. thanks for all help given, will be back to play on the bay, loved it.

jason, (might take someone who knows the area next time)

Hi Jason,

We probably was in one of the boats on the water in the Bay on Saturday.

We tried the drums first off, the fish finder showed alot of fish, but could not temp one to bite, but with the rough waves, we found it very hard to anchor down properly, kept drifting.

Then was told that a big container ship was docking in 1 hours time, so we moved behind the container wall, was much more sheltered there from the weather, but again no bites.

So after that, moved out towards Watts reef, but had the same issue of achoring, kept drifting out to the middle of the bay.

So was going to try the 3rd runway, but by that time, 11am, the conditions was very rough and not another boat in site, so went around between the 2nd and 3rd runway, got a few bites (pinkies and flathead) but all were undersized, by then though (midday) boat was being tossed around in the rough waves with water coming over the transom so we called it a day.

Probably will leave fishing until Spring/Summer arrives, which is when generally the Bay fires up again.

But from your report, it sounds like you were in all the right locations that would generally find fish.

Regards,

Long