Choosing Leader !

Ozfishen

Hey Raiders,

I need help picking leader for my new set up. Current monofil line on my reel is Platypus Platinum 20lb

I have a Silstar crystal power tip 7" equipped with a Okuma Vecta vt 55 reel.

I usually fish botany bay, the harbour and the sydney heads.

I will be flicking hard body lures around in shallow waters and soft plastic in deeper waters, aswell as using bait.

Just wondering what pound leader should I be using ?

Cheers,

Jake

Edited by Jake

G'day Jake,

It sounds like your outfit might be a bit on the heavy side.

For the sort of fishing you're talking about a light spin outfit would be better suited. Do you have a smaller reel/lighter rod? Preferably loaded with braid?

For that outfit filled with mono, you probably don't need a leader, although for flicking plastics you could probably put a light leader of around 6-10lb on the end but I reckon you'll have a bit of trouble effectively casting lures and plastics for bay fishing so the leader will be the least of your challenges.

Cheers, Slinky

Slinky,

What if I was to downgrade to a lighter pound braid ?

This is the question I asked the bloke at BCF and he told me this was the gear to go with..

Thanks,

Jake

Thats exactly why you should ask your questions here first,Jake.

You need to tell the members what species you are after and if using light hardbods ??? 20lb is way to heavy and 6lb would be much better suited with a rod to match and reel.

Cheerrs Swordfisherman

Thats exactly why you should ask your questions here first,Jake.

You need to tell the members what species you are after and if using light hardbods ??? 20lb is way to heavy and 6lb would be much better suited with a rod to match and reel.

Cheerrs Swordfisherman

Sorry, I'm relatively new to fishing mate. I will be targeting bream, snapper, trevally, flatheads. I havn't actually gone out and got any hard body lures but I will be getting blades, poppers, minnows and crankbaits... I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jake

Sorry, I'm relatively new to fishing mate. I will be targeting bream, snapper, trevally, flatheads. I havn't actually gone out and got any hard body lures but I will be getting blades, poppers, minnows and crankbaits... I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jake

Those lures will all work fine on those species ,Jake.

You will need to get a 2 to 4kg graphite rod around 7 foot long with a 1500 to 2500 sized reel loaded with 6lb braid and a 8 to 10lb flurocarbon leader and you will be set.

Cheers Stewy

Those lures will all work fine on those species ,Jake.

You will need to get a 2 to 4kg graphite rod around 7 foot long with a 1500 to 2500 sized reel loaded with 6lb braid and a 8 to 10lb flurocarbon leader and you will be set.

Cheers Stewy

Cheers for that Stewy, This now gives me an excuse to buy another rod :)

Thanks !

Jake

Edited by Jake