Bream Combo Advice

Choc

Hi Guys,

As a newbie to breaming I just want to ask a bit of advice re combos. I have recently bought a 14' tinny with casting decks and will be mainly fishing in the Hawkesbury. At the moment I have about $200 - $250 to spend. I aim to use Sps. Should I wait until I can afford a better outfit as I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months and could possibly get some more money or can I get a reasonable outfit for this sort of money. I have three young children so I won't be able to pursue this new interest as often as I might like so I do want to go too expensive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Choc

Welcome to the site Choc  :1welcomeani:  :1welcomeani: .  Mate - $250 should get you a good starter outfit.  I reckon one of the best of the cheaper flick sticks is the Shimano Starling Stella.  It comes in at around the $100 mark.  Leaves you a few dollars for a Shimano Symetre.

44883[/snapback]

:1welcomeani: Choc

I would advise the same. Look at a Dawia Laguna or Shimano Syemetre in the 1000 -- 2500 size (personal decision here, i use 2000 and 2500's) - both retail around $150

For rods take a look at the Berkley dropshot range, I have 2 now, for $99.00 they are a very nicely put together rod, but is longish, doesnt bother me, but if it did i would just cut it down.

linewise i would be starting out a bit heavier, probably a 6lb fireline, but go for 4lb if you feel comfortable with it.

cheers

Chris

Welcome to the site Choc

I am in a similar position to you but with 4x children and thus understand wanting the best quality but budget conscious

I am using a $100 rod with Okuma Epix EFS20 Reel around $150

Does the job for me at present

Just keep in mind that Fireline and Jigs and SP's will be required and although these will accumulate with time all the costs add up

As Pedro mentioned it is worth a trip to ABA Penrith and they are great guys with competitive prices and a Fishraider sponsor. I am sure you will do well purchasing from them as I speak with first hand experience

Good luck with the fishing - it is definately worth the expense

Guest Jocool

Welcome to the site Choc. All the boys have given you great advice. If you like a rod that is a bit longer, I use the Shimano Rack Raider to great effect. And I have had a couple of the cheaper Diawa Procasters.

I have three young children so I won't be able to pursue this new interest as often as I might like so I do want to go too expensive.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Choc

44876[/snapback]

On the subject of kids...I have 3, and I take them out when I can and they love it. They prefer using SP's as it gives them something to concentrate on and they don't get too bored just sitting there as they tend to do with bait! :thumbup:

Welcome to the site Choc. All the boys have given you great advice. If you like a rod that is a bit longer, I use the Shimano Rack Raider to great effect. And I have had a couple of the cheaper Diawa Procasters.

On the subject of kids...I have 3, and I take them out when I can and they love it. They prefer using SP's as it gives them something to concentrate on and they don't get too bored just sitting there as they tend to do with bait! :thumbup:

44921[/snapback]

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks heaps for the advice. I will certainly check out the combos suggested and I will talk to the guys at ABA. Do ABA have a web site?

In regard to my comment with having young children I meant that life is very busy with sporting commitments, house renovations etc. We bought the boat specifically as a family activity and in the four weeks we have owned it we have had a great time and used it heaps, it is just that when I do have the family along it is very dificult to do any fishing for myself as I am sure you can appreciate. I look forward in years to come in spending quality time with each of my children separately on the boat and hopefully all will develop a love for fishing (It seems we are already well on this road)

I have been reading the forums for a number of months and it is a great site that Ken has put together, congratulations :thumbup: .

Hi Guys,

Just a brief note to let you know that Mickr from ABA has helped me out with my new combo. I have ended up with his GLoomis bronze back with a Shimano symetre reel which I am very happy with :1clap: . A big thanks to Mick for his help, and thanks to all of you for your advice. I can't wait to get out and try it out now. This weekend may be a bit of a challenge with Mothers day etc. maybe the one after that.

Choc

Geez, I'm glad you reminded me about that, maybe I'll invite the old girl out fishing...  :1prop:

Glad to hear you got sorted with a bream outfit, you've certainly kicked off your breamming with a decent rod (and reel, but the rod is especially top shelf). :thumbup:

45882[/snapback]

Swoffa,

The only problem now is I need to learn how to use it properly as I won't have any excuses about my gear not being up to it. Are there any experienced bream fishers that could give me a few tips, or that I could tag along with some time to learn the techniques etc.

Craig

Hi Guys,

.......with a Shimano symetre reel which I am very happy with  :1clap:

Choc

45880[/snapback]

Nice reel choice there Choc.

I have a Symetre 1500 on one of my spin outfits and I'm very happy with it. :biggrin2:

Good luck with your fishing adventures. :1fishing1:

cheers

Hooky

That sounds a great combo - but I suspect you blew the budget a bit ??

As for fishing - keep an eye on the Boatless & Desparate forum for other land based guys.  There are a few starting to post there.  Also stick your own plans up if you are going out & see if others want to tag along.

45909[/snapback]

The Loomis is the one that Mickr of ABA had for sale second hand so I haven't blown the budget by too much.

I have a boat, it is an old 14' Quinnie that I bought about 4 weeks ago which I am still getting used to as it is my first powered vessel. Did alot of sailing in my younger days and owned a hobie cat then.

This is such a great site with the helpful attitude that is so prevalent. I look forward to being able to attend one of the social days to meet you guys.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...