Shouldn't Have Fiddled...

Raiders,

The other day i got a bit too curious about 'what was under those screws' on the top of my cheapo Silstar. So, i undid them, saw that it just took the spool lip off, and put it back together. Now, once the drag is tightened to even looser than normal, the drag knob turns with the spool when line is pulled. This results in it getting EXTREMELY tight. Please Help!

Thanks

Edited by Flatboy

Raiders,

The other day i got a bit too curious about 'what was under those screws' on the top of my cheapo Silstar. So, i undid them, saw that it just took the spool lip off, and put it back together. Now, once the drag is tightened to even looser than normal, the drag knob turns with the spool when line is pulled. This results in it getting EXTREMELY tight. Please Help!

Thanks

I have never pulled apart a silstar before but by the sounds of things there must be something you have put in wrong to cause the drag knob to catch on the spool causing it to turn. Check to make sure the screws are countersunk in correctly to avoid them catching. Also remove the drag knob and check that the middle of the spool has no obstructions causing the centre piece of the drag knob to catch. Possibly could be a washer out of line or even a metal spring clip from the spool getting caught on the drag knob. The main shaft doesn't spin at all so there has to be something catching between the drag knob and spool. Sorry I could be more helpful, hard to paint a picture blind.

Regards

Daniel

G'day Flatboy,

Could you take some photos and post them? It's hard to visualise exactly what you mean so maybe even repeat what you did and take photos of the steps for us... can't make the problem worse and that way we might be able to see the problem.

Cheers, Slinky

Finally got the software to work... but now cant find the screwdriver so the photos might no be too much use sorry!

post-14097-127866254057_thumb.jpg

The reel...

post-14097-127866256813_thumb.jpg

Undid the drag and found these 8 screws

Don't have the screwdriver but when you undo the screws, the round black bit lifts off, and then the metal bit, and you can see the line all the way to the centre of the spool.

Sorry i couldn't undo the screws, but hopefully this is enough. Thanks, it would be nice for it to be working properly- not just having the drag on or off :(

p.s thanks woodch0p, everything seems to be really clear including the screws.

Did the drag washers come out when you took it apart ?

yeh they did when the reel fell off the table onto the ground... :ranting2: i think i've put them back in the right way though- soft, metal, soft, metal- i also tried metal, soft, soft, metal and some other combinations but none of them have worked. I was hoping that that wasn't the problem :thumbdown:

Thanks.

yeh they did when the reel fell off the table onto the ground... :ranting2: i think i've put them back in the right way though- soft, metal, soft, metal- i also tried metal, soft, soft, metal and some other combinations but none of them have worked. I was hoping that that wasn't the problem :thumbdown:

Thanks.

Getting closer but still need to know the model details if you have them mate. I want to try to find the schematics so I can take a look.

The order of drag washers should always have alternating metal/soft washers by the way but it's important they are in the right sequence. Have a look at the general diagram halfway down this page...

http://www.smoothdrag.com/settings.html

At least one of the metal washers in your set probably has 'ears'... make sure you're not using it at the top of the stack.

Cheers, Slinky

Ok thanks Slinky that could be the problem. I thought the one with ears went on the top... It's an EX-60 if that helps. I found another screwdriver :thumbup: so will try and rearrange the washers now. But the next problem... one of the metal washers is missing... :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood: It should just be on the floor though :wacko: Thanks for all your help.

Ok the missing washer was under the dog's food bowl... Now i have the same number of metal and fibre washers. One of the metal washers is just a normal round one, one is normal with ears, and the one i found has a big dent in the middle, then the hole. From the diagram this one must go on top, but which way? Thanks again for your help slinky

Ok the missing washer was under the dog's food bowl... Now i have the same number of metal and fibre washers. One of the metal washers is just a normal round one, one is normal with ears, and the one i found has a big dent in the middle, then the hole. From the diagram this one must go on top, but which way? Thanks again for your help slinky

:biggrin2:

Lump on the top (facing upwards) on the top washer mate. Eared washer in the middle. Flat, 'keyd' (square hole) washer the lowest metal washer. Fibre washer in between each, ending with a fibre washer on the very bottom of the stack (the 'dented' metal washer should end up on the very top of the stack)

No more stripping reels near the dogfood bowl :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Don't give up on it that easily. It's a simple mistake but very easily avoided. You might have noticed in any of my reel posts that when I pull them apart, every part gets lined up in-order on my bench as it is taken off the reel. That way, it can all go back together again in reverse order with some confidence that you have all the bits and you know where they go.

And even though I've pulled down hundreds of reels, whenever I'm taking one down I always keep the schematics at hand to check.

Cheers, Slinky

After sorting out the drag washer stacks did it fix up the issue?

When I pull apart a reel I usually do it over a box or a lipped tray so if I do acidentally drop something it can't go rolling off the table, and any part with springs I put an old money bag over it before pulling it off so it doesn't fly elsewhere.

An old divided tackle box is great for pulling apart reels as you can place parts in step by step, and as slinky has told me photos are also a great reference tool.