Rapala Lures Any Success In Saltwater?

A.dawg

Has anyone had any success with these lures in saltwater ??

the CD lures look good for bream and salmon when they're shy

CD's made their rep as a trout lure but I think they would probably work in an estuary situation on bream, however they wouldn't be my first choice. Caught both salmon and bonito on skitter pops but there are better poppers out there. IMHO the best rapala for saltwater spinning wold be the X-rap, for bream I'd be looking someplace else.

regards

still learning

The Husky jerk works well , you can get a clearish white colour and that has been successful for me , they have a good range of colours and a great action in the water . IMO Those count downs will still work but the Husky Jerks are a better choice for a wider range of applications if your looking at Rapala lures . The skitter pop , I would have caught around 30 to 50 barra on a blue one and it now hangs in my LURE HALL OF FAME. But there are better poppers for Bream .

Thanks for the replies

I had a couple given to me as gifts and was wondering if they catch fish in saltwater

Mate they are a good thing to have , I have 2 in my box , and they are used when im trying to get a lure to sink down a pylon under a wharf or even boats , cast a bit up current of the intended target and as it sinks down to the desired depth for me usually 1.5 to 2m the I just give it small twitches , so the lure stays in the strike zone for longer then a floating lure and it casts well to . The reason I only have 2 is because they are not cheap to be fishing around these dangerous sort of structures and I usually end up casting plastics . But I would be happy that you have a couple , they can be very useful.

Mate they are a good thing to have , I have 2 in my box , and they are used when im trying to get a lure to sink down a pylon under a wharf or even boats , cast a bit up current of the intended target and as it sinks down to the desired depth for me usually 1.5 to 2m the I just give it small twitches , so the lure stays in the strike zone for longer then a floating lure and it casts well to . The reason I only have 2 is because they are not cheap to be fishing around these dangerous sort of structures and I usually end up casting plastics . But I would be happy that you have a couple , they can be very useful.

Yea i thought they would be really good for casting thats why i thought off getting salmon and tailor with then in windy conditions when they are hanging lower

• 2 weeks later...

The CD03 and CD01 will catch bream all day long around wharfs and moorings (as mentioned) but I think you will find that the new 4cm x-rap (more info: here) will be dynamite on the bream if the action of the larger x-raps are anything to go by. Also the mini fat rap is a gun bream lure.

*edit: fixing the link

Edited by Paz