Bringing My Rod Home From O/s

Little Hooker

Hello guys,

Can someone with experience tell me whats the best way to my rod home from japan??? Rod is 5'7".

Im guessing a pvc pipe the lenght of the rod would be best but where would i find a hardware store in tokyo or kyoto city???

Ive seen those rod/tackle bag where you can fit a rod and lures in but i dont think thats goin to proctect the rod that much as its not a hard casing.

I dont think i can sleep well with jus a fragile sticker slapped on it at the drop off point. Im flyin home with jetstar.

Any advise is appreciated :)

Edited by Little Hooker

A hard PVC rod tube is the way to go... most tackle stores sell hard rod tubes but make sure if it's a commercial one that it's heavy duty (I saw a photo once of 3 or 4 rods that went on board a flight to a remote fishing spot in a lightweight tube and came off again as 15 or 16 rods).

Make sure there is padding at both ends of the tube and wrap the rod in towels so that it wont slap or move around too much inside the tube.

Then get travel insurance and make sure it's covered... and cross your fingers.

Cheers, Slinky

Yep we sell rod tubes but the only one I would recomend is the buzka and is quiet expensive, for 1 rod I would go with the PVC tube, but buy proper end caps and secure these in a way that you will notice any Tampering. Lots of bubble wrap and tape something to your rod which will be longer than the tip of the rod. That will do the trick for you or as suggested courier it home.

regards

still learning

Thanks guys for the fast replies!!! :thumbup:. Im heading tokyo for 1 day b4 i fly out and doin a quick pit stop at shibuya, i will ask for the pvc pipe and stop past the temple to pray for my rod to arrive to its new home in one piece.

Edited by Little Hooker

rod tubes are best

but ive had all my rods shipped in PVC pipe and never had a problem

they have come from thailand,states,new zealand,japan

and never had a problem

alot cheaper then a rod tube you will prob only use a few times

feel free to courier them to my place ill take good care of them

Edited by Framedtrash

when you come back to customs don't say its new otherwise they'll try to whack duty on it.

say you used it on a fishing trip and make sure you say its been cleaned with freshwater. then they won't bother you too much and usuaully leave your rod alone still nicely packed till you get home.

i brought home a daiwa saltiga dorado 80tn from japan.

bought from sansui in shibuya (they pack it really nicely!). it had the soft case, then newspaper around the butt and tip ends -> then inside the hard case -> then inside the cardboard tube with more newspaper all around

i was afraid it might not survive that well as it travelled with me from tokyo -> vancouver -> whitehorse -> vancouver -> sydney. people in vancouver thought i was skiing in the olympics hahaha

it survived =D (and that is a butt joint rod that is 6foot disjointed). hopefully you can be a bit more confident!

ssymmetri that is very helpfull infomation :). Did they charge you for the casing??? if they did how much did it cost??

I had spare time on my hands yesterday so i caught the bullet train down to osaka to ask them if they had some sort of tubin for my rod.... The guy who sold me the rod was been very rude and not willin to help me what so ever, so this young girl was tryin to assit me but with so little english it was pointless.. :thumbdown:. After snooping around the shop i ended up finding some hard casing made for traveling and it cost 23000yen :1yikes: left with a life time worth of squid jigs and went home... :)

hmm they didn't charge for the casing, but the daiwa 80tn comes with a hard case (more like extravagant packaging than a travel case)

i think it still helped though. they didn't charge for the cardboard or newspaper either.

i think i saw the same super expensive travel cases as you. they're just too much if you don't fly with your rods all the time.

maybe if you find a friendlier chap you can ask about packaging your rod for plane travel. i pretty much went in with no plan and they sorted it all for me.

best of luck little hooker!

All sorted out guys. Was wondering around a store called tokyo hands and they had a department which had DIY stuff. Saw a roll of vinyl with half a meter left manage to do a shifty and change the left over vinyl to the new roll which left me with a 2mtr long 75mm wide chunky cardboard tube. i Asked the sales person if we could buy it but he said we can take it away for free probably cause my misses had a basket full of there stuff and really at the end of the day its will get on the rubbish bin anyways. :thumbup: Stop pass a 100 yen store for some lids/end caps bubble wrap and stick tape and bobs your uncle. Cost me 400 yen. :biggrin2: i dont think a bomb can even rip open this tube.

Edited by Little Hooker