Browns/12 Mile

Mr Rob

Fished browns Friday to test out the new contraption and hoped to find some blue eye. Arrived a little late and could only find gem fish. ( Does anyone know the best way to fillet these tricky buggers? ) Browns was very lonely as I had the thing to myself except for a very pesky albatross.

On the way in i had a look at twelve mile to find a great number of kings of good size. Down with the jigs and up with the kings and so it went. Great fun, a fish on every drop with no sign of jackets. Kept 5 for the table and let the rest go. Biggest went 94cm smallest 73cm.

A long but fantastic day out.

post-12006-127893225192_thumb.jpg

post-12006-127893229612_thumb.jpg

post-12006-127893230131_thumb.jpg

Good on ya, sounds like you got a great feed of kingies and gems there :fisher:

clever little contraption too. Is that the end of a bicycle :D

Yes mate it is the end of a kids bike. I cant justify the cost of an eletric reel so this is what i came up with.

Sounds like you had a half decent trip... we were at Browns yesterday o(Tues 13th) only to find about a dozen big orange floats already there and their keeper pulling up fish after fish after fish... not sure how long they had been soaking for or how many hooks those guys use per long line but it seemed like at least a dozen per string - one of the blue eye I saw them pull up was so big that the two blokes on board couldnt lift it over the side of the boat, they needed to swing out the boom to hoist it up and over the rail - I reckon at least 40 to 50kg.

Not sure what they were but we also lost 4 sets of gear while dropping through the 300 to 350m mark - plenty of action on the sounder at same depth - bitten clean through the braid on each occasion. Tried holding baits at that depth but couldnt get them to bite anything other than line??

Cheers

Secho

nice work

those kingy fillets are making me Hungary

what rod is that well the saltiga ?

Yes it is a 55 deep or something like that, the first real work out it has had. I think it was a little heavy but the fish hit the deck before the seal could get them.

Sounds like you had a half decent trip... we were at Browns yesterday o(Tues 13th) only to find about a dozen big orange floats already there and their keeper pulling up fish after fish after fish... not sure how long they had been soaking for or how many hooks those guys use per long line but it seemed like at least a dozen per string - one of the blue eye I saw them pull up was so big that the two blokes on board couldnt lift it over the side of the boat, they needed to swing out the boom to hoist it up and over the rail - I reckon at least 40 to 50kg.

Not sure what they were but we also lost 4 sets of gear while dropping through the 300 to 350m mark - plenty of action on the sounder at same depth - bitten clean through the braid on each occasion. Tried holding baits at that depth but couldnt get them to bite anything other than line??

Cheers

Secho

Hi Secho

Re the big orange floats, i can tell you that each would connect to 60 odd hooks and would have been down before first light. And that big fish was most likely a hapuka.

Once upon a time I use to do this for a living.

The bite offs were probably gem fish.

Mr Rob your balance must be amazing. How do you get your feet up there to pedal it? :074::074::074:

Dont laugh, if i lay on the engine box i can peddle it.(lucky no one was out to see me proform on friday)

Not so comfortable though.

I am inventing a more ergonomically model.

Will keep you all posted.

Edited by Mr Rob

Those kingies look great.

Thank god the jackets aren't out their at the moment...

What size Jigs were you using at 12 mile?

I mixed it up to see what would happen with different size (150-300g)and colour jigs but whatever went down came up with a fish. Right time and place i suppose.