Abu Soron Stx40 Or Penn Affinity 4000

Stippy

Hey guys looking at getting a new reel in the 3000-4000 size.

Per the title I'm looking at both the Penn and the Abu, at the moment I can get the Penn for $20-$30 cheaper than the Abu - is the Abu worth the extra dosh? After a bit of searching both reels have been given fairly glowing praise (at least in the lower capacity models). Will be used primarily chasing pelagics land based, plan is to run 20-30lb braid. Also looking to match the reel to something like a Raider II Light snapper rod. I can get an Okuma Salina II cheaper again but not sure if that will be suited.

Thanks for any input,

Adam.

Edited by Stippy

Hey guys looking at getting a new reel in the 3000-4000 size.

Per the title I'm looking at both the Penn and the Abu, at the moment I can get the Penn for $20-$30 cheaper than the Abu - is the Abu worth the extra dosh? After a bit of searching both reels have been given fairly glowing praise (at least in the lower capacity models). Will be used primarily chasing pelagics land based, plan is to run 20-30lb braid. Also looking to match the reel to something like a Raider II Light snapper rod. I can get an Okuma Salina II cheaper again but not sure if that will be suited.

Thanks for any input,

Adam.

G'day Adam,

Get the Abu.

I love some of the small Penn reels... I have an Applause and I've opened up an Affinity (which is basically similar but a specced up version with a worm drive).

Both are fabulous but the Abu is a definite class above in engineering and performance. Better quality drag (not that the Penn drags are 2nd rate but they don't use their top-line HT-100 drag material). The Abu is the one I'd trust to last longest, stay smoothest and handle the toughest fish and abuse... oh, and I reckon they look better too :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

+1 for the Abu Soron STX, even the Soron SX is a great reel.

I own 3 Soron STX's 20, 60 & 70 and I love them, they even come with a spare spool. The drag on them is higher than the line rating as well which is good.

The Pflueger Supreme MG is also another nice reel with very smooth drag and retail around $170 mark.

Cheers,

Leo

Another great reel in the size you are looking @ are the Shakespeare Agility range- I have one in the 40 size and one in the 30 size which I gave to one of my mates to go with his graphite flick stick (I used this @ the SP Social) and it never missed a beat- and nailed my first ever Flattie on SP and can cast braid without any hassles.

They have super smooth drag and come with a spare spool.

my mate Eddie has a few of these in the 50, 60 and 70 sizes and has used them on Jewies and Kingies and big Bream to 50cm+ on the Parramatta River with ease.

Nice little reels with 6 ball bearings and they are quite cheap compared to the Soron and Penn models in the same sizes.

I will admit though out of the 2 you mentioned I'd prefer the Soron over the Penn, I like the bigger Penn Reels like Spinfisher and Slammer series that use the top end drag systems- the lower end ones I have used and they arent that great- If my memory serves me correctly my last Penn Affinity in 2500 series lasted me about 6 sessions before it siezed up on me - I wasnt able to fix it myself so I threw it away, then I bought the Agility and it gets used every outing on the river with my bream rod, and also gets good use on my mates boat on Kingies and Sambo's in Botany Bay when they start schooling up.

Good luck with the purchase mate

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

Another + on the Soron STX.

Even though it is $20-30 more, it is cheap for the quality of reel your getting. I personally believe they are selling themselves short for the reel they are offering at that price.

Own one and have stripped it down, so far can't fault it!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Soron STX40 arrived today and it feels and looks brilliant! Just about the only problem is that I'm now eyeing the STX60! Thank goodness the :wife: hasn't found this site just yet.

For the moment the reel will accompany my 2-4kg Dropshot Diablo but eventually I would like to team it up with something more suitable. Seemed to have mixed reports on the Strudwick SikStick but I've also started considering the Snake Skin Sports (site doesn't seem to like the G word) - from what I've read people seem to think they're a nice rod for the money with good components and nice reel seats. Would I be better of with a Raider II for the same money? I'm just a bit concerned that the colours won't match :1prop:

Thanks for the advice everyone,

Adam.

P.S - One other strange thing is the box suggests that the reels capacity is 210 yards of 10lb test for mono and 125 yards of 10lb test for Fireline - shouldn't the capacity for braid be higher? I was actually hoping to put something like 15lb Fins on her.

Edited by Stippy

P.S - One other strange thing is the box suggests that the reels capacity is 210 yards of 10lb test for mono and 125 yards of 10lb test for Fireline - shouldn't the capacity for braid be higher? I was actually hoping to put something like 15lb Fins on her.

The line capacity is referring to the 2 different spools. The Soron STX comes with a 'braid spool' that has a pair of o-rings to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool even without putting a layer of mono underneath it. This spool is shallower, hence the confusing details on the box. I've got braid on both my spools.

Cheers, Slinky

The line capacity is referring to the 2 different spools. The Soron STX comes with a 'braid spool' that has a pair of o-rings to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool even without putting a layer of mono underneath it. This spool is shallower, hence the confusing details on the box. I've got braid on both my spools.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Slinky! It was your positive wrap on your STX that got me thinking in the first place! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Adam.