Flattie Friday On The Georges River

Hi Raiders,

Today was the last day of my mid year holidays and with the winds abating, good tides and a high pressure system approaching I decided to fish the Georges River. I was also able to finally convince my daughter to accompany Bassboy and me for a fishing trip. Her last outing was in my old boat fishing for Bass (successfully!!) at Lake St Clair in 2007....this meant we had to produce fish :biggrin2: . We decided to fish a number of deep holes between Como and Pleasure Point focussing on Jew, Bream and EPs.

It dawned as a magnificent morning but the fishing started very slowly. In our first hole near Como I had a hit from a decent fish in about 15m of water but after a couple of head shakes he spat the 120mm flick bait :ranting2: . We continued to try a number of other deep holes in the vicinity of Como for the next hour for no luck. By this stage my daughter was cold , bored and asking how long we were going to continue fishing.

Her enthusiasm improved when Bassboy caught this feisty little 26cm EP in our favourite hole near Lugarno and she was thrilled to watch it released to fight another day. I am amazed how Bassboy continues to produce good EPs from this hole with some clever finesse SP fishing.

post-12960-127928674427_thumb.jpg

This same hole then produced a couple of small tailor before I used a bloodworm wriggler to catch this 24cm Bream. Unfortunately my daughter was unable to catch a fish from this hole, despite some good strikes on her SP.

post-12960-127928680927_thumb.jpg

After catching and releasing the bream the hole went quiet so we decided to try a couple of holes further upstream. We arrived at our next hole a half hour before the change of the tide and decided to work this new area with big SPs for Jewies and blades for EPs and Bream. The first twenty minutes was uneventful, however we then started to get good strikes on all of the lures (blades and SPs) and my daughter regained her interest and decided a change of lure was needed (she started using a 120mm flick bait). After a number of very subtle bumps I also decided a change of lure was required (I changed to a MF40 soft blade) for almost immediate success catching a nice 43cm flattie. Just as my fish was netted my daughter calmly informed me that she had caught a fish and could someone help her net it.....this was her first ever flattie and the smile on her face was worth a million bucks.

post-12960-127928685747_thumb.jpg

post-12960-127928689123_thumb.jpg

Not wanting to be outdone by her father she then caught this 44cm flattie, which would be the largest catch of the day and her second ever flattie :thumbup:

post-12960-127928692755_thumb.jpg

post-12960-127928694317_thumb.jpg

We were on a hot flattie bite with a total of nine fish caught and released from this same area. We also lost some decent fish, including a very large lizard that bit through my leader after a brief but brutal fight (my stupid mistake for continuing to use the 4lb leader). All the fish were caught on MF40s or large flick baits.

post-12960-127928701798_thumb.jpg

post-12960-127928706872_thumb.jpg

It was another great weekday on the Georges River and we were pleasantly surprised by the number of flatties caught and released.....a great way to finish my holiday with the kids.

Edited by Basscatcher

Great report!

If you really want to get your daughter hooked take her out in the summer for some top water action! you will never be short on crew :biggrin2:

Pete

Pete - you must have read my mind. With my eldest (Basssboy) finishing high school this year I need to get the daughter into fishing so that she can accompany me next year :biggrin2: and top water action should be the carrot!!

Interesting to see the flatties around the boardwalk I cant recall ever catching one there

iceman, i think they were there beacuse the flat behind the boat was really exposed to the sun with the water moving slow and pushing down into the hole. The water was a bit warmer around there too, so thats my guess :1prop:

iceman, i think they were there beacuse the flat behind the boat was really exposed to the sun with the water moving slow and pushing down into the hole. The water was a bit warmer around there too, so thats my guess :1prop:

Yeah you would be right with that Ive only tried surface in summer over that flat for small bream and fish the hole in autumn and spring for EPs

Great report mate! :thumbup: Fishing with the kids is a great day on the water. It is rewarding to watch their skills develop, and hopefully their captures as well. Looks like you have found a new fishing buddy! :yahoo: If she enjoyed herself this time, she going to love surface fishing :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Putting some great little sessions together guys!!!!

That whole corner is one big eddy, ive done alright on the flatties there too and i can remember a few posts from stewy this time last year he also was getting stuck into a few in the same area.

Those Ep's arn't safe when bassboy888 is on the water, your on fire champion!!!!!

Congrats on the catch and a very informative post :thumbup:

Mick