Austinmer 17/7/10

mako1

I was out off Austinmer yesterday hoping to catch some more snapper.

It was quite bright and sunny so I straight away went out to the gravel bed I was fishing last week instead of fishing in close.

The fishing was very slow, even the bakers and pike weren’t really biting but there were a lot more jackets this week and they were striping the plastics off the hook.

I managed to catch one of the offenders, a six spined leatherjacket.

post-2229-127941553061_thumb.jpg

A few drifts later the rod finally buckles over and I’m hooked up to my first snapper of the session.

After a good fight on light gear I land a nice 40cm snapper.

post-2229-127941554164_thumb.jpg

Things went quiet so I tried a few more spots along the 20m line but there were only jackets and some small bakers. I went back to the original spot and after a few more drifts I get a better hit and

land another nice 40cm snapper.

post-2229-127941555226_thumb.jpg

I tried another couple of drifts but there were only jackets around so I made my way back to the beach. Coming back into the beach was interesting. I picked a lull in the waves and began paddling

but as I approached the beach a wave picked up behind me and I began to nose dive but luckily the nose didn’t dig in and the kayak stayed straight. The wave did break over the back of the kayak but

everything stayed on and nothing was broken.

No big ones but still a beautiful day to be out on the water.

post-2229-127941556308_thumb.jpg

Well done Mako - looks like great conditions out there and good to see you persisting despite the Leatherjackets destroying your plastics :ranting2:

The jacket that I cleaned must of had at least a packet of plastics in its gut and they all weren't mine as some of the bits were the nuclear chicken colour which I wasn't using. It must have been pestering another fisherman that day before.

Nothing wrong with a feed of snapper!

Top work im actually thinking of goin out in the boat there tommrrow, the weather looks promising atleast

Pete

The weather looks great for tomorrow. Good luck.

Top effort Andrew. Where did you launch from??

I launched from the beach ramp just off Headlands Ave at Austinmer.

Nice report again Makothumbup.gif

Nice Snapper on light gear and how's the colour of that leatherjacket. If there weren't so bloody many of them out there it would almost be a shame to put on the table.

I got a bit worried when I read about the wave and I bet that had your heart rate going, but it just goes to show you how good those Hobie's are

beersmile.gif Brad