Hooks In Fishes Mouths

reyzor

hi all,

just wondering,

how long will a hook last in a fishes mouth or down deeper.... i see and sometimes myself cut the line as opposed to ripping the hook out when i let a fish go, but how long before the fish gets rid of it?

cheers.

Hello Reysor,

There are different schools of thought on this however i understand that a fish will get rid of a hook from as little as 24 hrs to up to a week depending on type of hook (gauge and type of material, ie bronzed) and where hooked (Ie if in the gut the saltwater and stomach acids do a pretty good job of coroding it quickly). In my opinion if a fish is "gut" hooked it is far better to snip the line as close to the mouth as possible as opposed to trying to get the hook out.

I am sure another raider will give you a better description of actual time it takes to break down a hook but i hope the above helps.

Cheers

Moro Mou

Rey, good question. Might depend on what types of fish, where it is hooked and what type of hook too i guess as i could imagine some may dissolve faster than others and also depending on their shape. I reckon the hook is better for the fish removed, rather than staying hooked on the fish.

Next catch, u should try taking a fish home, put it in the bath bro and check it out every now and then to see how long it stays in its mouth :thumbup:

Overall, id prefer just take the hook out(if possible) and then u get to keep the hook for another catch :1fishing1:

Check the attachment out. Looks like the fish swallowed it all the way and tried to crap it out! Dayaamn, i can just feel it now....!!

post-14839-12796146823_thumb.jpg

Rey, good question. Might depend on what types of fish, where it is hooked and what type of hook too i guess as i could imagine some may dissolve faster than others and also depending on their shape. I reckon the hook is better for the fish removed, rather than staying hooked on the fish.

Next catch, u should try taking a fish home, put it in the bath bro and check it out every now and then to see how long it stays in its mouth :thumbup:

Overall, id prefer just take the hook out(if possible) and then u get to keep the hook for another catch :1fishing1:

Check the attachment out. Looks like the fish swallowed it all the way and tried to crap it out! Dayaamn, i can just feel it now....!!

jeez that looks painful hope you took the fish home if it was size

i myself try to get the hooks out all the time but sometimes you are likely to kill the fish in the process a company should create small version of long side cutters just to cut the hook of jig heads in the gill area then again a fish de-hooker could get a hook thats deep but safe to remove

cheers mick

I was interested in this recently and did some searching. Turns out someone has done a study and it is WAY better to cut the line than try and retrieve a deep hooked fish.

It's also recommended to use circle hooks as they will mouth hook a fish more often.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/catch-and-release

Compared to removing swallowed hooks from bream and mulloway, simply cutting the line increased their short-term survival from 12% to more than 85%. Up to 76% of the released line-cut, gut-hooked bream then shed their hooks within around three weeks

So basically you go from 12% survival rate to 65% have lived AND shed their hooks completely after 3 weeks (76% of 85% = 65% of the original total).

Edited by Geoff-