How Best To Look After A New Trailer

tumra

Guys,

I finally forked out $1700 for a new trailer to replace the rust bucket that i got with the boat when i bought it. I am really keen on keeping the rust off it and have been spraying the trailer down with fresh water after every fishing session. Is there anything else i can do to keep the rust off it? I have been told to attached a sacrificial anode to the trailer. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this or any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Edited by tumra

the one thing that will save a trailer is to wash it down after you launch your boat ,and then a thoroughly wash when you get home after fishing,

use a one of those garden sprayers,only takes two minutes,still a pain but the results speak for them selves

a mate of mine has been doing this for years ,after 10 years his trailer looks good ,no rust ,mine is ready for replacement

i believe the damage gets done at the ramp,as i fish sunup to sun down most days

i will be doing this when i get a new trailer

cheers arman

Is it gal ? If so the anode probaly wouldn't help, as thats what the gal is for.

I liberally coated mine with lanolin spray after being told by others and regularly renew it from spray cans.

If I was more proactive I would probably take the boat off each years and and give it a wash with a guerny (it actually has a salt/lanolin/gal crust) and repaint with lanolin(bulk liquid is cheaper than cans).

Mine is 5 years old now and so far is holding up good but is showing spots in places where I should probably renew the gal coat with some paint on cold gal. During the dry & severe water restrictions on the coast, I didnt have a rain water tank and wasnt washing it down as well as I normally would.

Cheers

hey copa my trailer is galvanised. Thanks for the advice on the anode.

I was thinking of getting some lanolin and painting it with the stuff, though the main frame of the trailer has hollow sections where the salt water gets into. I can paint it with lanolin on the outside of the trailer, but how do you treat the inside sections of the frame?

I guess im going to have to be as proactive as i can and just wash it down as often as i can.

I have not really worried about the hollow section too much (it is hot dipped gal) but have sprayed some lano inside and give them as good a quick jet/rinse as I can. The lanolin actually seems to spread itself about quite a bit even if you dont get it on quite right.

I expect there is places that I wont stop corrosion but then it is salt water. My brake gear and other non gal stuff are more affected and actually get more frequent top up with lanolin (I try not to get it on the discs & pads). After a stuck steering cable a while back I also give the steering rod a wipe clean and spray lano on and turn motor back and forward occasionally.

In last 5 years I have found many people use lano spray on boats, engines, reels and firearms as a universal lubricant/protectant. Its much better than the WD40 my dad always used on the farm.

Cheers

Ten years ago I bought a new trailer and against all the advice and before using it I painted the galvanised trailer.

I used a metal undercoat and then painted it with metal paint. High gloss was used. What I found was salt etc easily washed off after a good hose.

I soaked the springs in citronella oil and would regularly spray them with lanolin oil/vegetable oil.

It is not uncommon for me to think outside the circle/norm and be different. IMO I believe this action kept my trailer in tip top condition.

I would definitely do it again but do a much better job and not miss any spots. I would also go around and change all bolts /nuts etc to stainless if it did not cause electrolises etc.