Tuna Cubing

Hi all. Just starting out on this whole cubing game. Couple of questions. What is the best method of connecting the trace to the mainline. eg quality swivel or knot. 2nd Question. Whole pillie for bait or cube. 3rd question Do you leave rod in holder with light drag and strip off fair bit of line by hand, or is it best to hold rod and do it from reel. Any ideas would be great. thanks Magoo.

i use a small snap swivel,and for a cube i use about three quarters of the pillie,i always remove the tail to reduce twist

and it doesnt matter how you strip back as long as the line doesnt come up tight,ie pull line off the reel before the line tightens to the rod

either way of holding the rod is ok ,most important thing if you leave it in the rod holder is to have a little bit of drag ,tiny bit ,to prevent an overun when you get a strike

cheers arman

i use a small snap swivel,and for a cube i use about three quarters of the pillie,i always remove the tail to reduce twist

and it doesnt matter how you strip back as long as the line doesnt come up tight,ie pull line off the reel before the line tightens to the rod

either way of holding the rod is ok ,most important thing if you leave it in the rod holder is to have a little bit of drag ,tiny bit ,to prevent an overun when you get a strike

cheers arman

Good advice Arman, are you guys related? :074:

Cheers Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jay1979

i prefer to join the leader via a knot.dont fish to heavy in leader (50lb flurocarbon is perfect)as i gaff them off the rod tip(no grabbing leaders)

a swivel will help with line twist but they often sink quicker than the bait and as far as holding the rod,the rod holder things works.....til you hook a real one!!! :1yikes:

i use 7/0 owner light circles and 3/4 of a pillie(tail cut off)

also doesnt hurt to have another bait run straight down with a #3 bead sinker as this will often pick up albacore. DONT USE FLURO LINE!!!!

hope this helps!!

Edited by jay1979