Deep V Or Shallow V

Gym_

I'm buying my 1st boat its a 4m tinny with a 30hp, BUT need to decide whether of not to get a deep V.

From what Ive been told Deep V's handle the chop better but are more unstable wile at rest, fishing

And Shallow V or Flat bottom V nose punts are better at rest and nice and stable fishing but are rough as guts in chop.

So how do i decide witch one to get .. and how much difference is there ?

Will a deep V drive me nuts when I'm fishing every time i or my kids lean to one side because it rocking and rolling constantly ?

Will a flat bottom smash my spine wile trying to skip over 2 foot swell ?

I'm a big guy at 150kg dose this make a diff ?

Also i want to know is one faster the the other and will one be better for tube skiing with the kids then the other ..

HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS !!!!!

Edited by Gym_

Hey mate,

It would help if you told us what type of fishing you intend to use the boat for and what sort of areas you will be using it.

Any of the newer types of tinnies with the millennium type hulls with give you the best of both worlds. Have a word with Huey as the stacer's have a great range of tinnies that may suit you.

I doubt that you will be using it to tow a tube around as with a 30hp motor it would not have any where enough power.

G'day Gym,

... and to add to Rzeps comments and questions, there are hulls and there are hulls. Not all are created equal so even when you talk specifically about deep V hulls, some are stable and some aren't. With 'punt' type hulls some ride well and some don't.

Do you specifically want aluminium? there are glass and poly options too.

It really comes down to being specific about what and where you want to use it and then talking to someone like Huey. He's got lots of info, expertise and options.

cheers, Slinky

Is there such a thing as a deep V 4m tinnie? I don't think so. There are flat bottom punt style ones and shallow V - bottom ones. The punts are for calm water only. The V bottom ones will ride pretty hard in the chop and won't be that stable at rest.

If you are worried about performance why not check out the Polycraft 4.1m? It will be more stable than a V bottom tinnie and far softer riding as well.

Personally, I went with a "Tournament" style boat, (V nose punt) and yes they are very stable at rest. It also handles the chop very well, I find having some weight under the bow hatches and/or a person standing/sitting towards the bow while on the plane helps the V Nose cut the chop really well. I've owned a deeper V tinnie and yes they can get rocky. With a V nose punt, if the chop picks up and it starts to slap a bit, ease up. If your transom and budget allows, go a 40hp on a 4m, she'll fly.

Just my thoughts

Mick

Hi Gym,

As paul and slinky said,have a look at fibreglass.

I have had amilligan fibreglass boat for 35 years,to me they

are the best seaboat ever made,has deep V a try boat in any weather

except into a heavy westerly chop.

cheers Rick.

Thanks for the replies ..

I would really want to stick with the tinny as anything bigger my little jap crap wont tow it and my budget is 6.5k for a brand new rig ( don't want 2nd hand ) ..

An as far as fishing places were looking at the gates at Evans head, Ballina river to Wardell, Woodburn and Tweed Surrounds..

The two hulls I'm contemplating is the Stacer Proline 399 and the Stacer Seasprite 399 Or the Quintrex Dart 400 Or Quintrex Explorer.

The Quin comes with a 2 cyl yammi and the Stacer a 2 cyll Merc ... oww and id love a 40 but 1) that will kill my budget and 2) 40 is the max on the 4s i would have to go 4.1 or risk the crap with insurance etc ..

Cheers Gym_

Edited by Gym_

Thanks for the replies ..

I would really want to stick with the tinny as anything bigger my little jap crap wont tow it and my budget is 6.5k for a brand new rig ( don't want 2nd hand ) ..

An as far as fishing places were looking at the gates at Evans head, Ballina river to Wardell, Woodburn and Tweed Surrounds..

The two hulls I'm contemplating is the Stacer Proline 399 and the Stacer Seasprite 399 Or the Quintrex Dart 400 Or Quintrex Explorer.

The Quin comes with a 2 cyl yammi and the Stacer a 2 cyll Merc ... oww and id love a 40 but 1) that will kill my budget and 2) 40 is the max on the 4s i would have to go 4.1 or risk the crap with insurance etc ..

Cheers Gym_

Hi Gym of the two above Stacers and any brand for that matter, the vee nose punt that the Proline is will be a more stable platform and would be my choice. Yes the Seasprite with a deep vee (but not what you call a deep vee-no 4M tinny is a true deep vee) will ride a bit better but a 4M boat should not go into really rough water anyway so what I say to people here all the time is the 399 Proline rides very well for a 4M alloy boat and will do what 99% of people want but the big gain is its stability at rest. Also the Proline comes STD with bow and side rails and is cheaper than the Seasprite.

Contact me if you like and I can give you the Raider price for both Stacers and I only keep the Proline in stock so that would tell you something.

Cheers

Huey.

Thanks for the advice Hue .. sounds like the flatter of the two would suit me best..

I sent you a email as i would be interested to see what you can do for me ..

Cheers Gym_