Fraser Island Trip

MartinthePom

As a nice change from the superb Blackfish sport that around at the moment in the Harbour I'm off to Fraser Island tomorrow for a few days camping and fishing :thumbup:

Done a bit of homework and it seems as if the main species in the surf this time of year will be Tailor with a chance of a Mackerel or two. However, I hear there's some quality Whiting in the pools at low tide and over in the flats on the Western side some Golden Trevally to be caught on the fly. :biggrin2:

I was planning to take two 12ft beach outfits rigged with 30lb braid to a 60lb leader carrying a surf popper and a pilchard rig on either wire or 40lb mono traces. Never done this type of fishing before so wondered if anyone can tell me if this sounds about right or suggest alternatives ?

In addition I planned to pack a 9wt fly outfit and a 6kgs spinning rod , some metals and a few SPs to be fished on 25lb braid.

Anyone in the know out there ?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

Never fished fraser but have been there and report its very sandy:). Indian Head is loaded with fish, not sure if you can fish there off the rocks though i would hope so. I watched an old video of the tailor run on fraser and all the big ones fell to garfish on gang hooks slowly worked back to the beach pillies acounted for the smaller 2-3 kg fish. I think those days are gone now thanks to the beach netters.

If you can get over to Rooneys on the north west side that is where they have caught marlin sight casting on the flats in 6 feet of water. There with the predominate s/e trade wind you could possibly baloon baits out past casting distance in hope of longtails, goldens etc but this is just a theory.

Enjoy. Also there are some good guides out of hervey bay who will take you out looking for tuna, trevs, etc. Prob some good snapper and cobes going on in hervey bay at the moment.

Big sharks every where as well if you are in need of a work out.

Gday Martin

Last time i was at fraser i was about ten years old but my best memory is heading over to the western side and catching loads of whiting. using two hook rigs we got double hook ups all day! :1fishing1:

Good luck and i look forward to the pics!

Morgs

As a nice change from the superb Blackfish sport that around at the moment in the Harbour I'm off to Fraser Island tomorrow for a few days camping and fishing :thumbup:

Done a bit of homework and it seems as if the main species in the surf this time of year will be Tailor with a chance of a Mackerel or two. However, I hear there's some quality Whiting in the pools at low tide and over in the flats on the Western side some Golden Trevally to be caught on the fly. :biggrin2:

I was planning to take two 12ft beach outfits rigged with 30lb braid to a 60lb leader carrying a surf popper and a pilchard rig on either wire or 40lb mono traces. Never done this type of fishing before so wondered if anyone can tell me if this sounds about right or suggest alternatives ?

In addition I planned to pack a 9wt fly outfit and a 6kgs spinning rod , some metals and a few SPs to be fished on 25lb braid.

Anyone in the know out there ?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin I have fished frazer a few times. Indian head is a great spot and you can fish off the rocks. If you catch a tailor stick him on some large live bait hooks and you will catch a shark. Look brown water and you might land a jewie