Okuma Spinning Reel

Hi guys,

Last night i went out for a fish, everything was going to plan until my okuma bait runner spinning reel started playing up.

The antreverse wasnt engaging. Then it started engaging again then when i had a fish on started playing up. :ranting2:

Today i removed the bail arm to see what was going on underneath. I relised when i would add a little more pressure onto the reverse lever it would lock, although the spring seems to be doing its job. I took apart the reverse bearing and eeverything seemed to be clean and working.

I am just wondering if theses rollers in the anti reverse should have grease?

i would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this issue. :1fishing1:

G'day Kosta,

Anti-reverse bearings are a bit of a pain. They work strangely enough because of friction in one direction. Unfortunately, lubricant of any kind reduces the friction and if overdone, the bearing will fail to work. Equally unfortunately, many AR bearings are made from Chrome Steel instead of stainless so without a protective coating of oil or grease, will rust.

That means you're often left with a compromise... security against protection. If you open up most Shimano spin reels these days you'll notice that their AR bearings even have a warning on them to not use a lubricant!

On most AR bearings, I'll apply the lightest possible coat of lube using a cotton bud with a light oil and then I'll use another dry cotton bud to wipe it all off again (it actually leaves just the slightest residue) BUT you have to get the balance right. I serviced a Daiwa Sol for Jewhunter and forgot to wipe the bearing over with a dry cotton bud and his reel started slipping (unlike his language when I was fishing with him :biggrin2: )

To work out if your bearing is the problem, clean it and reinstall it dry. If the reel stops slipping then you know where the trouble is. Then try the light lube trick. If it starts slipping then you'll have to install it dry but beware of corrosion. If you can get away with it, the film coat of lube is preferable.

cheers, Slinky

Definitely don't grease, it will stop the AR bearings from engaging, like slinky said use the smallest amount of reel oil possible. Also a product which I have used and works pretty well is chain lube. Must be applied in the same manor as skinky suggested as it is quite tacky and if there is to much it will stop the bearings engaging.